ONTAP Discussions

Network Port Reachability in OnTAP Select

TMADOCTHOMAS

I just upgraded several clusters to OnTAP 9.8P10, including an OnTAP Select 2 node cluster. After the upgrade, the GUI for the OnTAP Select cluster reported "4 ports cannot be reached because the broadcast domain configuration is not correct." I researched this and found the new "network port reachability" family of commands. The problem is, the message appears to be incorrect. The ports in the broadcast domain list are correct, and don't match the reachability error. See below. None of the other clusters show the same thing, and I'm wondering if it's an OnTAP Select anomoly. Am I missing something?

network port broadcast-domain show

• Cluster broadcast domain contains ports e0c and e0d on both nodes
  • Mgmt broadcast domain contains ports e0a on both nodes.
  • Ports e0b and e0g are used to host VLANS. Each VLAN has it's own broadcast domain. As I would expect, the e0b and e0g ports don't have a broadcast domain.

network port show

• Confirms the appropriate assignment of broadcast domains
  • Again, e0b and e0g have none (as would be expected since LIFs are only associated with VLAN-tagged interfaces)

network port reachability show

• e0b and e0g are listed as 'misconfigured-reachability'
  • e0b shows e0c, d, and g as unexpected ports, while e0g shows e0b, c, and d as unexpected ports. Again, e0c and e0d are the cluster ports, and e0b and e0g are ports that contain vlan-tagged interfaces.
  • In other clusters that I also upgraded to 9.8P10, the equivalent of e0b and e0g (i.e. ports that contain VLAN-tagged interfaces) show as 'no reachability' as I would expect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMADOCTHOMAS

In case anyone searches this, I finally opened a case and it appears this is an invalid alert in my case, as I was suspecting. I am submitting a bug fix request.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hmoubara

Hello,

A new feature was added in 9.8 where you can scan/repair port reachability. 

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/networking/network_features_by_release.html

Try running the below command:

cluster::> network port reachability scan -node <> -port <>

if it comes back with misconfigured-reachability, do a repair:

cluster::> network port reachability repair -node <> -port <>

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi @hmoubara , thank you for your reply! I found this information in my research, however I'm concerned about running the repair tool in OnTAP Select as I'm thinking it might break something. I'm not entirely sure what it will do. If it's going to make any changes to any of our network settings, I would have to schedule this as a change control and run it after hours to be safe. But in particular, I'm not sure if it's designed for OnTAP Select or not. As I said, despite the misconfigured reachability messages it doesn't appear to be an accurate message, although I could be wrong. Any thoughts on this?

TMADOCTHOMAS

In case anyone searches this, I finally opened a case and it appears this is an invalid alert in my case, as I was suspecting. I am submitting a bug fix request.

Public