ONTAP Discussions

New controller in FAS270c Data ONTap version older than other controller; no disks found

etsatcom

Received a new controller that has Data ONtap 6.5.3 installed on it. Primary controller has 7.3.2. I am unable to boot the new controller up to upgrade Data ONtap to 7.3.2 and can only seem to get into maintenance mode. I need help with how to do a Data ONtap firmware upgrade when the filer cannot see any disks because their firmware is newer than ONtap can support. I have looked over several documents and it seems that NETAPP has changed the process over time. I understand how to update the firmware from a CIFS share, but I am not able to get that far in this case. I cannot upgrade past DATA ONtap 7.3.2 as my hardware/software environment is strict and that is our approved version. Can anyone help outline the steps I would need to follow in order to get this controller into a functional state? I have LAN connectivity to the filer is that is of any help to anyone.

Here is what the errors look like:

Thu Jan 1 00:00:05 GMT [diskown.UpRevVersion:warning]: Disk 0b.16 (S/N DH07P8309LS8 ) has a newer version (2) of ownership information than the current Data ONTAP is using (version 1).

Storage Adapters found:
2 Fibre Channel Storage Adapters found!
0 Parallel SCSI Storage Adapters found!
1 ATA Adapters found!

Target Adapters found:
0 Fibre Channel Target Adapters found!
0 iSCSI Target Adapters found!
1 Unknown Target Adapters found!

WARNING: there do not appear to be any disks attached to the system.

Check that disks have been assigned ownership to this
system (ID 84193408) using the 'disk show' and 'disk assign'
commands from maintenace mode.

No root volume found.
Rebooting... (ctrl-c to bre

2 REPLIES 2

JGPSHNTAP

FAS270   That's super old.. If I were you I wouldn't even waste your time even to attempt to bring this online

aborzenkov

What exactly "new controller" means? If it is replacement controller, you need to move CF card from old to new one. If it is aditional controller, netboot the same version and install Data ONTAP. See https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1012003&pmv=print&impressions=false

Public