ONTAP Discussions

No snapshot policy on volume

Julien_Mos

On one of my client's volume , under overview , snapshot policy it's note "None".

But there are still snapshots, how it's possible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Yes, that's correct. B'cos it is a 'mirrored' destination volume , therefore it  maintains exact copy of the source volume.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ontapforrum

Those snapshots that you are seeing may be from the previous policy (ex- default). Storage Admin may have disabled the snapshot policy (set to 'none') for the given volume later on.   Changing the snapshot policy to 'none' do not delete the previous snapshots (unless the prefixes matches) created under a another policy.

Ideally, if it's none - You shouldn't see any newer snaps there. How old are they ? Could you share the output.

Julien_Mos

No it's not because that is recent snapshots. Everyday i got net snapshot !

Julien_Mos_0-1670495114196.png

Julien_Mos_1-1670495140385.png

Ontapforrum

Thanks for the screenshot.  You can see the volume 'Type' is - Data Protection. So, this is the SnapMirrored destination volume, so it's picking up those snapshots as part of the Mirror transfer. Please check it's Source Relationship, the source volume would be 'Type' - Read & Write.

Julien_Mos

Yes it's "Read&Write". So on the destination volume, snapshot correspond to snapshots on the source volume ?

Ontapforrum

Yes, that's correct. B'cos it is a 'mirrored' destination volume , therefore it  maintains exact copy of the source volume.

Julien_Mos

Okkeyyyy i was pretty lost .

Thank 's for the help 😉

Julien_Mos

And last question, when i try to see the snapmirror schedule with this command :

snapmirror show -fields schedule

i get "there are no entries matching your query "

while snapmirror are still made

Public