ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP 9.8P3 Error execute "Prepare Storage" on ONTAP System Manager

areti

I am installing a new NetApp 2750 with Ontap 9.8P3 out of the box.
Performing initial initialization and configuration.
When executing the Prepare Storage command in ONTAP System Manager, I get an error:

"2021-08-24T15: 03: 50 + 00: 00, "netapp04-02", "informational", "mgwd", "mgmtgwd.jobmgr.jobcomplete.failure: Job \" Aggr Create \ "[id 80] (Create netapp04_02_SAS_1) completed unsuccessfully: Failed to create aggregate \" netapp04_02_SAS_1 \ "on \ "netapp04-02 \". Reason: There are not enough spare disks with matching RPM. 11 disks needed from one pool, but not enough matching disks of the requested size are available in either pool."

I found that the error might be related to a bug (Bug ID 1411692):

https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/bugs-online/product/ONTAP/BURT/1411692

But here are no recommendations for fixing the problem.

I created Case for tech support.

Support give me a link to the article:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Auto-provisioning_aggregate_fails_due_to_not_enough_spare_disks_with_m....

But under our NetApp account, using this link, I receive a notification: You do not have permission to view this page (see attachment).

I create question to support but not have respond from support.

Question 1. Does anyone have access to this article? Can you show text of this article?

Question 2. What are the recommendations? Maybe do Prepare Storage manually from the command line? But I don't know the correct parameters.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Here is another KB for the same issue. Looks like according to this bug - Manual provisioning works via the ONTAP CLI but Auto-provisioning via the ONTAP CLI fails.

Cannot provision aggregate in ONTAP System Manager 9.8P3 with newly deployed cluster
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Infrastructure_Management/ONTAP_System_Manager/Cannot_provision_aggregate_in_ONTAP_System_Manage...

I suggest just go for the manual provisiong for now until the bug is fixed.

::*> aggr create -aggregate Cluster_1_01_SAS_1 -encrypt-with-aggr-key true -disktype SAS -raidtype raid_dp -maxraidsize 11 -diskrpm 10000 -pool Pool0 -diskcount 11 -chksumstyle bloc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ontapforrum

Here is another KB for the same issue. Looks like according to this bug - Manual provisioning works via the ONTAP CLI but Auto-provisioning via the ONTAP CLI fails.

Cannot provision aggregate in ONTAP System Manager 9.8P3 with newly deployed cluster
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Infrastructure_Management/ONTAP_System_Manager/Cannot_provision_aggregate_in_ONTAP_System_Manage...

I suggest just go for the manual provisiong for now until the bug is fixed.

::*> aggr create -aggregate Cluster_1_01_SAS_1 -encrypt-with-aggr-key true -disktype SAS -raidtype raid_dp -maxraidsize 11 -diskrpm 10000 -pool Pool0 -diskcount 11 -chksumstyle bloc

areti

Thanks for the answer.

So I have to run two aggr create commands to create two arrays of 11 disks for the first and second node?

Is each aggregation automatically assigned to its own node?

Will HotSpare drive (disk 23 and disk 24) automatically be assigned to each aggregation, or do you need to execute commands separately?

Does the -encrypt-with-aggr-key true option encrypt information on the drives? Can I specify -encrypt-with-aggr-key false? What will I lose in the functionality?

Ontapforrum

You're welcome.

1) When creating aggregate, you could use the switch -node <node-name> to specify which Node it is going to create. Also, before it executes it prompts you to confirm, that gives an idea where it will be created.

Example prompt that you will see:
Info: The layout for aggregate <aggr> on node <node> would be...something like that.

2) A hot spare disk is a disk that is assigned to a storage system and is ready for use, but is not in use by a RAID group and does not hold any data. You don't need to include them when creating 'aggregate' (i.e raid-groups). As long as they are assigned & available as 'spare' to the specific node, they will be automatically picked up as 'hot spare'.

3) Regarding -encrypt-with-aggr-key : Yes, of course. It's your wish whether you want to enable 'encryption' (logical/software-based) for your data or not. I think before 9.6, we used 'volume encryption' (VE), but the disadvantage was that you could not perform cross-volume data dedupe and other 'data reduction' functionality due to each encrypted volume having it's own unique key. However, with this option all volumes share the key, so that solves cross-volume storage efficiency issue.

FAQ: NetApp Volume Encryption and NetApp Aggregate Encryption
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/FAQ%3A_NetApp_Volume_Encryption_and_NetApp_Aggregate_Encryption

Public