ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Select Technical FAQ

jiayih

Questions about ONTAP select:

1. Understand that ONTAP Select only support DAS (VMFS datastore) now. What is the future roadmap for SAN attached storage or NFS datastore?
    • ONTAP select node does not support vmotion. Is this solely because of DAS?
    • Can I power off the ONTAP VM, migrate the VMDK files and power it up on a different ESXi server?
  2. For a 4-node cluster, how do you recover ONTAP select node after a hardware replacement of the underlying compute?
    • Assuming the storage data is still intact, can I just bring up the ONTAP Select VM, and do a HA failback and resync the mirrored aggregate?
    • If the storage data is gone, how to I recover the lost ONTAP Select VM?
  3. What are the steps to configure the iSCSI mailbox disks? 
    • how do we segregate the iSCSI network from the HA heartbeat on ONTAP Select internal network?
    • what are the requirements for the mailbox disks?
  4. Why we cannot convert ONTAP Select from Evaluation mode to Production mode?
    • This is very inconvenient for customer that wish to keep the data after testing
  5. What are the best practices for aggregate creation on ONTAP select?
    • The ONTAP Select cut even number equal-sized (max at 8TB) vmdk disks from the datastore, what is the algorithm?
    • The aggregate is RAID 0 and mirrored between HA. Should I create one big aggregate using all the disks? 
  6. Can I have both SAS and SSD disks for a Premium license ONTAP Select node?
    • How do the ONTAP select name the disks?
    • Does it know the disk type of the underlying storage?
  7. Is there any existing use case that customer SnapVault the data from ONTAP Select to ONTAP Cloud?
    • What are the considerations?
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public