ONTAP Discussions

OnCommand Clustered Data ONTAP 4.1.1.7474 SCOM Internal Connectors

Fursel

Hi. We recently installed OnCommand Clustered Data ONTAP 4.1.1.7474 management pack into our SCOM and it really slowed our Ops Console. Right click on any alert freeze it for approx. 20 sec every time.

I believe it is because this MP created over 400 internal connectors (Administration - Product Connectors - Internal Connectors) which look like this.

340 of them:

OC.Cluster.OM.ClassType.Connector.0065426f-9a81-4176-96d3-ee1c7a2edfacClustered Data ONTAP MP uses this connector to save discovered cluster storage components to SCOM database

65 of them:

OC.Cluster.OM.Connector.fd30feca-0613-11e6-b3ef-00a098a0623fClustered Data ONTAP MP uses this connector to save discovered storage virtual machine objects to SCOM database

Additionaly those:

DataONTAP.Cluster.ClusterVserverSCOMConnectorClustered Data ONTAP MP uses this connector to save ClusterVserverSCOMConnectors data.
DataONTAP.Cluster.DashboardConnectorClustered Data ONTAP MP uses this connector to save dashboard data to SCOM database.
DataONTAP.Cluster.MgmtServerDiscoveryConnectorClustered Data ONTAP MP uses this connector to save discovered management servers to SCOM database.
DataONTAP.Cluster.StorageDiscoveryConnectorClustered Data ONTAP MP uses this connector to save discovered cluster storage to SCOM database.

Anyone of you noticed something similiar and if it so, would it be okay to remove those connectors ?

We have also different NetApp which we monitor with OnCommand Data ONTAP 4.1.1.7300 and there we have only 5 connectors established.

15 REPLIES 15

prakash_csc
Hey,

Looks to me reinstallation has to be done by selecting just the basic options and not custom options. Try that and let us know.

James_Goodison

We too are experiencing this issue. We have uninstalled the OnCommand plugin and it has left the connectors. Within our Active Alerts screen we are getting delays of up to 10 seconds before we can close an alert. 

We have approximately 200 connectors that have been added. 

Please can someone provide a fix? It is not supported by Microsoft to remove these connectors.

Fursel

I raised case with NetApp and this is what I received as answer, (but this is not acceptable for us).

"In our software we create a connector per storage object to make parallel operation possible. Therefore, also with fewer controllers and high count of storage objects you could reach a high number of connectors.

What could be done?

If you have more servers, you could spread the workload by adding servers to the pool and to add some controllers to other management servers. If you have more than 1 they should appear under management servers."

The issue with slow alert view and right click is because "Forward to" option which search through all the connectors.

rzghhteam

is this case still open with NetApp? @Fursel

Did you find a workaround? 

thanks for a feedback.

kind regards from far away

James_Goodison

We was able to resolve this usse, once the management pack was removed the connectors still remained which made the SCOM console really unresponsive.

The fix was to remove the connectors via powershell. Use Remove-SCOMConnector. Be careful when using this and make sure you read the documentation. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh920255(v=sc.30).aspx

rzghhteam

thanks for the Feedback @James_Goodison

Are you still using the NetApp MP? If so - how many connectors do you currently have? If you are not using the MP anymore - have you found an alternative?

kind regards from far away

shery_itb

You can use the below link to remove the old connectors

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2017/02/07/removing-unwanted-product-connectors-in-scom-2012-r2-and-scom-2016/

Thanks Kevin for the Link

shery_itb

Hi NetApp Team.

I have observed that Netapp connectors are rebuilding once we run the discovery, looks like Net App MP  inbuilt the connectors in the discovery code.This is happening only on Clustered Data ONTAP not on 7-mode Data ONTAP MP.

Due to these connnectors, Console is not doable at all.

Please look into this issue as many customers are facing with same issue and request to remove these connectors from the discovery code,

or let us know how we can remove these connectors permanently.

Regards,

Shery Cherian

Fursel

No sorry we didnt find solution for that. What I can think of is to add another management servers and divide monitoring of those storages to them like NetApp said or just turn off automatic discovery and do it manually once per change with forcing script afterwards to delete those connectors. 

shery_itb

Thanks Fursel for the updates.

This is something really looked into the next version,  adding a new server approach needs to be tested and am not sure that loading the connectors per alert patern would change either , I tried the other solution, when we ran maually it  recreate all the connectors again.

Regards,

Shery Cherian

cachehope

We are experiencing the same problem. Tried to delete the connectors with remove-scomconnector command, it gave some fails, then tried to fix it with powershell script, sql script. It seemed working well, but when I tried to approve manual installed agent, it threw out one exception. So I must restore the database and scom management servers from backup. Could Netapp help to fix this as soon as possible ?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

shery_itb

Looks like no updates from NetApp end. I have tried  to load balance  the MP with multiple Management Servers.. still no improvements in performance..

NetApp Team,

Please let us know if any solutions would help us to improve the  performance 

StewartMilne

NetApp, please consider another approach for this. Contextual menus when dealing with Alerts dashboards are becoming increasingly slow to render due to the huge quantity of connectors being loaded for the "Forward to" menu when right clicking on alerts.

MiAu

More than a year past by now. I don't think NetApp will take any action.

Please NetApp, could you at least give some information about this? Even if you decide to do nothing at all!

PaulHov

Same here:

678 connectors, freeze for ca. 50 seconds

Public