ONTAP Discussions

OnTAP Select vCenter Change

TMADOCTHOMAS

What is the best way to change the OnTAP Select Deploy configuration to point to a new vCenter? This is a live system so I don't want to break anything. 

Short version of backstory: we had a situation occur where we needed to quickly replace our vCenter server with a new one. Weeks later I realized OnTAP Select Deploy has credentials stored for the old vCenter and the Hypervisor Hosts still show the old vCenter listed as well. I should note that there are no errors anywhere. Everything is working fine. I assume I will run into issues at some point, maybe when/if I next perform an OnTAP upgrade.

Would love to hear any advice or suggestions on how to cleanly update the vCenter settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

darb0505

Hi TMADOCTHOMAS,

Glad that everything is still working.  It sounds like you need to modify the existing ESXi host in ONTAP Deploy CLI.  You should be able to modify the current host by the following:

host modify -name ESX-HOST-FQDN -mgmt-server VCENTER-FQDN

You can reference the following

I would also verify that the plugin is fully installed and working on the new vCenter.  You may have to do a backup and reinstall of the ONTAP Deploy plugin.

Thanks

Brad

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

darb0505

Hi TMADOCTHOMAS,

Glad that everything is still working.  It sounds like you need to modify the existing ESXi host in ONTAP Deploy CLI.  You should be able to modify the current host by the following:

host modify -name ESX-HOST-FQDN -mgmt-server VCENTER-FQDN

You can reference the following

I would also verify that the plugin is fully installed and working on the new vCenter.  You may have to do a backup and reinstall of the ONTAP Deploy plugin.

Thanks

Brad

Team NetApp

TMADOCTHOMAS

@darb0505 , thank you very much for your response. Regarding entering the command to change the hostname, I would also need to change the username and password used to connect which have also changed. Can that be done on the same command line?

Also, what are the risks of making this change? Is there a potential for causing an outage of the OnTAP Select VMs?

Lastly, you said "I would also verify that the plugin is fully installed and working on the new vCenter". I was unaware that OnTAP Deploy installs as a plug-in in vCenter. If so, that definitely didn't happen when we set up the new vCenter. Client Plug-Ins show the other NetApp plug-ins like VSC and SnapCenter, but not OnTAP Select. What would I need to do to correct this?

TMADOCTHOMAS

@darb0505 , I scheduled the change control for this morning. I added the credential and then ran the host modify command. I got the following error:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error[400]: HostMgmtServerUpdateCredsNotRequired - Request to update host with a management server needs management server credentials to be pre-existing in credential inventory prior to this request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I entered credential show and it showed the credential I had added. I removed and  re-added it again to no avail. Any ideas?

darb0505

Hi TMADOCTHOMAS,

Sorry to hear that you could not modify the host.  It sounds like you need add the host credentials in ONTAP Deploy.  Example of the command:

credential add -hostname <FQDN|IP> -type vcenter -username VCENTER_USERNAME

I would also consider opening a case with NetApp Support so that we can work with you on a call or remote session to correct this issue.

Thanks

Team NetApp

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi @darb0505 , I did add the credential as you showed and got the error. NetApp Support thinks it may just be the version of Deploy I'm on (I am currently on 9.5.2113). Will update the thread if an update fixes the issue.

darb0505

Hi TMADOCTHOMAS,

Thanks for the update.  Let me know if you need anything.  Will wait for your update.

Team NetApp
Public