ONTAP Discussions

OnTap 9.5 4 node cluster SVM NFS lifs

kelwin

We have a cluster and recently added 2 nodes to cluster (4 nodes total).  We have an svm that supports nfs (vmware) with data lifs for the original 2 nodes.  We'd like to expand the svm across all 4 nodes but want to understand how lifs function on an svm that has access to aggregates on 2 HA pairs.  Do we need an nfs lif per node on the svm?  If we connecting to a datastore on nodes1/2 do we connect to the same lifs when accessing a datastore on nodes3/4?  

3 REPLIES 3

pedro_rocha

"If we connecting to a datastore on nodes1/2 do we connect to the same lifs when accessing a datastore on nodes3/4? "

You can, but you should not. As previously said, 1 LIF per node per SVM.

TMAC_CTG

I suspect in your case, I would do this:

1. Create a NEW NFS LIF on the two new nodes.
  2. Create a NEW datastore on each of the two new nodes (use VSC and it should mount also)
  3. Mount the new datastores to all ESXi nodes
  4. Use VMware and perform a storage vMotion to the datastores. Here is where you can distribute the VMs across all the nodes.

This is of course a high level overview. There are number of finer details that can/should be interpreted.

SpindleNinja

Here's a good starting point for you.  https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496234 . 

But yes.  generally you want at minimum 1 lif per node to allow direct access to the volume and not go through the cluster network.  

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public