ONTAP Discussions

Ontap Simulator 9.5 - Can't upgrade without HA, can't HA with simulator, stuck?

sys-matt

I was finally granted access to our company's netapp support account so I could download and gain some setup knowledge on the ONTAP simulator.  After finding out that only 9.5 is available for working with ESXi, I finally got my two nodes stood up and running.  The problem I'm facing is that 9.5 is old (all of our production NetApp appliances are running 9.11-ish) and would like to upgrade it to match what we have in prod.  This experience of setting up an ha cluster "from scratch" would help tremendously with a large project that's coming up soon.

I'm trying to figure out how to enable HA mode, only to find that HA mode doesn't work (well/at all?) in the Simulator.  According to the Configuration -> Cluster -> Update, I can't perform any updates to the cluster until I enable HA mode. 

I tried configuring storage failover, but it insists it's not in HA mode either due to a limitation in the simulator itself or I've not configured it right (either are equally plausible at this point).

Storage failover steps I've performed:
- cluster ha modify -configured true
- storage failover modify -mode ha -node netapp-01

- storage failover modify -mode ha -node netapp-02

- storage failover modify -node netapp-01 -enabled true

- storage failover modify -node netapp-02 -enabled true

The first command returned with an error "Could not retrieve partner SFO information: entry doesn't exist"

The last two commands returned an error "Failed to enable storage failover service. Reason: non-HA mode"

Any suggestions as to how I can get to be able to update my two nodes to something current?  I don't have VMware Player , ESXi is my only option, otherwise I would just go with the 9.11 sim instead.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Ontap Simulator does NOT support "High Availability" (CFO/SFO) feature. This information is published in the Ontap Simulator install guide. However, it does not stop you from upgrading the Clustered Nodes. Just that you need to upgrade individually both Nodes from command line.

Following is a very good article, it has all steps to upgrade Simulator ONTAP version.
https://www.sysadmintutorials.com/netapp-ontap-97-simulator-upgrade/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ontapforrum

Ontap Simulator does NOT support "High Availability" (CFO/SFO) feature. This information is published in the Ontap Simulator install guide. However, it does not stop you from upgrading the Clustered Nodes. Just that you need to upgrade individually both Nodes from command line.

Following is a very good article, it has all steps to upgrade Simulator ONTAP version.
https://www.sysadmintutorials.com/netapp-ontap-97-simulator-upgrade/

sys-matt

Thank you!  That's the upgrade path I was looking for but was unable to find for some reason.  

I was aware of the non-HA support in the Simulator, I just couldn't find a way to upgrade without it, but this will get me past the HA part and straight into the upgrade part.

Public