ONTAP Discussions

PSTK volume move from volume to aggr encryption

djwarner2929

I have an aggregate that I want to retire.  Volumes have volume based encryption.  I'm trying to migrate volumes to other aggregates with aggr level encryption.  but it appears the start-ncvolmove cmdlet doesn't have an option to use aggregate encryption.  I'm using the latest PSTK 9.7.  anyone else found a way to do this?

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donny_lang

It doesn't look like the Start-NcVolMove cmdlet itself supports the necessary aggregate encryption parameter (-encrypt-with-aggr-key), unfortunately. However, the API that the cmdlet calls - volume-move-start - does. You can use the "Invoke-NcSystemApi" cmdlet to make the API call directly to work around the gap. Something like this might work:

$SourceVol = <your volume>
$DestAggr = <your destination aggregate>
$Vserver = <Source Vserver> 

$Request = @"

<volume-move-start>
    <dest-aggr>$DestAggr</dest-aggr>
    <encrypt-with-aggr-key>$true</encrypt-with-aggr-key>
    <source-volume>$SourceVol</source-volume>
    <vserver>$Vserver</vserver>
  </volume-move-start>

"@

Invoke-NcSystemApi -Request $Request

I don't have a system with NAE enabled to test this on, so I can't fully validate that it will work, but it should. 

Donny 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

donny_lang

It doesn't look like the Start-NcVolMove cmdlet itself supports the necessary aggregate encryption parameter (-encrypt-with-aggr-key), unfortunately. However, the API that the cmdlet calls - volume-move-start - does. You can use the "Invoke-NcSystemApi" cmdlet to make the API call directly to work around the gap. Something like this might work:

$SourceVol = <your volume>
$DestAggr = <your destination aggregate>
$Vserver = <Source Vserver> 

$Request = @"

<volume-move-start>
    <dest-aggr>$DestAggr</dest-aggr>
    <encrypt-with-aggr-key>$true</encrypt-with-aggr-key>
    <source-volume>$SourceVol</source-volume>
    <vserver>$Vserver</vserver>
  </volume-move-start>

"@

Invoke-NcSystemApi -Request $Request

I don't have a system with NAE enabled to test this on, so I can't fully validate that it will work, but it should. 

Donny 

View solution in original post

djwarner2929

Perfect!  Thank you very much Donny.  That worked!

Dave

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public