ONTAP Discussions

Properly turn off the storage system FAS (Ontap 7-mode и Cluster mode)

areti

Hello!

The netapp website has an article on how to properly turn off the storage system:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_is_the_procedure_for_graceful_shutdown_and_power_up_of_a_storage_...

I have no experience with turning off the power of disk systems, but I have to do this due to a move of equipment. Therefore, I had several clarifying questions.

I have FAS2240 (Ontap 8.1 7-mode) and FAS2552 and FAS2750 (Ontap 9 Cluster mode)

Consider the section  "Perform the following steps in Data ONTAP 7-Mode to bring the system down" of the article.

To execute the indicated commands cifs terminate, cf disable, halt, it is enough to connect via SSH (example from putty) to the management port, or is it better to connect from putty to the Service Processor and then execute the "system console" command?

Step 4 mentions the command halt -f -t.
-f is [-inhibit-takeover]
what does -p mean? I did not find such a parameter in the command description in the documentation.

Next, see the section  "Perform the following steps in Clustered Data ONTAP to bring the system down" of the article

Step 1: Notify, disconnect and, if needed, shut down all the connected CIFS / NFS clients.

Do I need to run the "cifs terminate" command in this case?

Step 3: Log in to all nodes, one at a time (preferably using serial console or RLM / SP) ...

I have to SSH into the Service Processor and then execute the "system console" command, and then execute

halt -node local -inhibit-takeover true -skip-lif-migration true.

Do I understand the sequence of actions correctly?

After that, can you turn off the power switches?
Some Internet resources recommend running the "system power off" command at the end, but this command is not mentioned in this article. Don't need to run this command?

I would be grateful for comments on my questions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

Regarding the "-t" option in the "halt" command, -t <mins> Initiates a clean system shutdown after the indicated number of minutes. Applies only if the node is running CIFS, FCP or iSCSI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

That article is nicely written and covers everything. Regarding the specific queries:

Not sure where did you see '-p' ?

1) Do not use 'system power off', this command is available to SP only.
"system power off" from Service Processor (SP) CLI is not a substitute for a graceful shutdown using ontap 'halt'. Therefore, stick to 'halt' command for graceful shutdown.

2) Yes, it is advisable to do 'halt' from the SP CLI of each Node: So that you don't drop the session and you can view the complete sequence of shutdown procedure until it shows the LOADER> prompt, which is the indication that you are SAFE to physically power-off the Controllers. Once Controller is off, you can simply shutdown the the Disk Shelfs. Order of Node doesn't matter for 2-node (for more than 2-node, halt the one holding epsilon last), b'cos you are shutting down the system anyway and I suppose there is no intention to 'keep serving data from other Nodes'. If this is a planned shutdown that means your clients must have been notified already about the unavailability of services during the shutdown period. If the Node is serving cifs, then it makes sense to terminate cifs sessions, prior to running halt.

Firs thing:
1) Note down the SP IPs:
Ontap
::> sp show

2) ssh to SP IP of each Node:
login as: admin
admin@10.x.x.x's password:
BMC cluster-01>
BMC cluster-01> system console
Type Ctrl-D to exit.
SP-login: admin
Password:
* This is an SP console session. Output from the *
* serial console is also mirrored on this session. *
cluster::>

areti

Hello! Thanks for your reply.

>>Not sure where you saw "-p"?

It was a typo. I wanted to know about the -t parameter in command:  halt -f -t
What does the -t parameter mean?

Mjizzini

Regarding the "-t" option in the "halt" command, -t <mins> Initiates a clean system shutdown after the indicated number of minutes. Applies only if the node is running CIFS, FCP or iSCSI.

Public