ONTAP Discussions

Qos on network

ACHOU_SIMG

Hi,

ONTAP 9.1RC1

FAS8040HA

I have data LIFs on 10GbE connections. In the meantime, we need to use the 10GbE for NDMP backups as well. I am concerned about NDMP backups traffic can saturate the 10GbE connections and cause service interruptions on the data traffic. I look into network management guide, it mentions about "QoS marking" can be set to prioritize *outgoing* traffic per IP Space. My questions are:

- Unfortunately, there is only one IPspace "Default" in the configuration.It looks like if I change the value DSCP values, it will affect all?

- It seems to me smaller value means higher priority? I don't see it mentioned in the guide.

- Currently all protocols have it disabled. What happens if I enable only NDMP with lower priority such as 50? Is it sufficient to ensure it won't impact CIFS/NFS/iSCSI traffic?

CIFS                 10  false
                    FTP                  48  false
                    HTTP-admin           48  false
                    HTTP-filesrv         10  false
                    NDMP                 10  false
                    NFS                  10  false
                    SNMP                 48  false
                    SSH                  48  false
                    SnapMirror           10  false
                    Telnet               48  false
                    iSCSI                10  false

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1

victor_munoz

With ONTAP9 you can apply QoS in IOPS & BW at the same time for the same volume. So set BW QoS limit for the volume / SVM to ensure the NDMP operation doesn't consume all your bandwith.

I think would be easier than start playing with network priorization

Regards,

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public