ONTAP Discussions

REBOOT BAD HOME PORT -cluster and NFS-

FAS2554

Hello everybody,

I have the following problem every time I restart NetApp:

netapp forum.png

Because of the false "is Home" the vm stored inside are not communicating and I don't have access, so I always use the migrate command to fix it or I enter the web interface to change it to True.

And there are times when the current port is changed in the cluster or in the NFS.

So I would like to know if there is a way to fix those paranormal changes (since it happens very rarely). Is there a boot configuration file or something like that so that it always loads the right configuration?

Thank you very much and best regards.

18 REPLIES 18

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Probably, the auto-revert property is set to 'false', I am guessing, bydefault it is false for 'data LIFs'.

First verify:
::> network interface show -vserver vserver_name -fields auto-revert

If it's set to false, make it 'true'.
::> network interface modify -vserver vserver_name -lif lif_name -auto-revert true

With this setting, next time when the  Data LIFs failed-over, they will automatically revert to home-port once the Home-port is operational/status-admin up.

Thanks!

FAS2554

I check it:

FNC FNC-01_mgmt1 true
FNC FNC-02_mgmt1 true
FNC cluster_mgmt false

NFS01 NFS01_lif false
NFS01 NFS01_nfs_lif1 false

NFS02 NFS02_lif false
NFS02 NFS02_nfs_lif1 false

Would you recommend me to put everything to True?

(With that every reboot all things will go to their place, isn´t it?)

Thanks for your help!

Ontapforrum

Yes, please.

With that every reboot all things will go to their place, isn´t it?  yes, that's correct.

You're welcome.

FAS2554

Perfect!

Tomorrow I´ll let you know the results 🙂

Thanks again!!!

FAS2554

I have this issue with the -auto-revert true in NFS01 and NFS02 lifs:

There are no entries matching your query

I don´t know why :s because the cluster_mgmt lif was changed correctly

Ontapforrum

What is the current output of : network interface show command ?

FAS2554

FAS2554_0-1589964751661.png

FAS2554

This current output has the migrate applied 2 weeks ago (that´s why the configuration are in his place with the trues and correctly current ports).

Ontapforrum

All the ports looks like are at 'Home', so that's good.

Also, I noticed, the Ports in your first screenshot was showing as 'a0s', probably that's why it said 'There are no entries...'. 

e0*, is what I would expect.

FAS2554

The first screen was from the day that I rebooted the NetApp (then I could solved using the migrate and the web interface client).

But as you told me, for prevent that issues every reboot I tried to apply the -lif auto-revert but it doesn´t works in NFS01 and NFS02.

Ontapforrum

What is the output of this command;

network port show

network port show -port  a0s -instance

FAS2554

FAS2554_0-1589968961992.png

Ontapforrum

Kindly  give the  output of :

::> network port show

::> network interface show -vserver NFS01 -fields home-node,home-port,curr-node,curr-port

::> network interface show -vserver NFS02 -fields home-node,home-port,curr-node,curr-port

FAS2554

Sorry (the e0s is e0a, because the first screen was taken from other NetApp with the same configuration)

Take the outputs:

FAS2554_0-1589971435665.png

Ontapforrum

Looks like you have under-lines issues (vifmgr/Node) and therefore when the LIF fails-over it is not reachable. Ideally, even if the LIFs fail-over, they should be reachable. However, if you want LIFs to go back to its home-port then auto-revert is the property that will turn on.

I see the issue in the output you shared:

Warning: Unable to list entries for vifmgr on node "FNC-01": RPC: Port Mapper failure. Therefore, it's only listing ports for Node FNC-02. Perhaps, that's why all your LIFs are attached to this Node.

Try to check:
::> set adv
Warning: These advanced commands are potentially dangerous; use them only when directed to do so by NetApp personnel.
Do you want to continue? {y|n}: y

::*> cluster ring show -unitname vifmgr

I would request you to log a ticket with NetApp Phone support.

Thanks!

FAS2554

Ok,

I´ll investigate and check

Thanks for your help!!

Ontapforrum

Thanks and good luck. Feel free to call NetApp phone support to sort this out.

paul_stejskal

My only thought is that it could be a broadcast domain/LIF failover group configuration.

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-nmg%2FGUID-9B4E1414-A638-4E4E-83B1-6DECE7CADE54.html&lang=en

I'd check those commands and see if you can make some headway. Without knowing your config it's hard to dig further. A case definitely isn't a bad option.

Public