ONTAP Discussions

Removal of nodes from a cluster - Hardware Upgrade

Hi,

I have a question around the permanent removal of nodes from a cluster, such as during a hardware refresh and I'm trying to establish the correct procedures/checklists to go through to ensure that during a hardware upgrade nothing is overlooked and user disruption is kept to a minimum.

Scenario: (All nodes running ONTAP 9.1 P7 and are HA pairs)

2 x FAS 8020 units (cluster nodes 1 to 4)

1 x AFF A200 unit (cluster nodes 5 and 6)

Assuming that all user data volumes have been migrated to the aggregates on the AFF nodes 5+6 then this should, I believe, just leave the following steps however I would welcome any comments to correct or enhance the process.

• Migrate Data SVM root volumes from FAS8020 aggregates on to AFF nodes (we already have LS-mirror copies but the ‘live’ version is still on the 8020s)
• Data LIFs for CIFS and iSCSI (hosted on the 8020s) have to be removed, or migrated to the new AFF nodes.
• Make the 8020 nodes ineligible for cluster RDB operations (i.e. remove eligibility forcing it to use one of the AFF nodes) - using command: node modify -node nodenametoberemoved -eligibility false
• Perform a 'cluster leave' operation on the 8020’s - does this need to be performed on each node in a HA pair?

• Physically disconnect the node from cluster network
• Zero the data disks

Thanks in advance,

Garth

1 REPLY 1

Re: Removal of nodes from a cluster - Hardware Upgrade

This is probably a bit late for you, but I'm going to reply anyway for my own future reference....

According to the doco, you remove the nodes one at a time, but you must remove both nodes of a HA pair.

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-sag%2FGUID-6731B7F7-0C48-4474-A67B-E1F1CCBA77A6.html 

We would also do a sanitise on all the disks (we either have to sanitise, or destroy the disks)

Be interested to know how it went!

Cheers,

Stuart

Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public