I just added about 4TB of space in 5 new disks to an existing aggregate (64-bit), yet I do not seem to be able to grow the volume on that aggregate to take up the new space. DF for the volume also shows several TB available:
> df -Ah
Aggregate total used avail capacity
aggr1 43TB 37TB 6235GB 86%
aggr1/.snapshot 0GB 51GB 0GB ---%
aggr0 3532GB 2912GB 619GB 82%
aggr0/.snapshot 185GB 15GB 170GB 8%
> df -h vol5
Filesystem total used avail capacity Mounted on
/vol/vol5/ 44TB 36TB 6235GB 86% /vol/vol5/
snap reserve 920GB 449GB 471GB 49% /vol/vol5/..
But vol size says I only have 57.9G available (this vol is the only vol on the aggr):
> vol size vol5 +3000g vol size: Request to grow volume 'vol5' failed because the resulting volume size is greater than the maximum size. Select a growth of at most +57.9GB.
Never seen this happen: What is happening here? And why is the total size of the volume larger than that of the aggregate?
I did grow the aggr by increasing the raid group size by 1 and adding a new disk to each raid group. Was that a big mistake?
This is an FAS3140, ontap 8.1.2 . The only information I oculd find on this legacy model listed a 16TB aggr/vol limit (ontab 7, probably), but assuming it's the same as the low-end 3200's there may be a 50TB limit on aggrs and vols. I had no idea that OnTAP would let me waste disks by letting me add them to an aggr and not be able to use them. Right now I have 17 disk per rg * & rg = 117 1/2TB disks in the system.
The numbers still don't add up, I should have some room to grow vol5 according to aggr show_space:
> aggr show_space -h aggr1
Total space WAFL reserve Snap reserve Usable space BSR NVLOG A-SIS Smtape
I think I misread the free space on aggr1's df -A output as a side effect of not having space reservation enabled for the volume. I almost always see space reservation (or whatever it is called) turned on, so that a volume that is grown to fill out 100% of an aggregate makes the aggregate 100% full, even if there is little or no data in the volume itself. So there doesn't seem to be a problem with my aggr, just my misinterpretation of the DF data.