ONTAP Discussions

Restore single file or directory from snap vault

BelaAtCU

Hi All,

Would you know of a way to restore a single file or directory from snap vault (XDP)? 

Currently I can restore the entire volume to a new volume however for large volumes when one needs a file or directory that is an overkill. 

I tried configuring an NFS share of a snap vault xdp volume to see if I can access the vault directly, but it does not look like it can be mounted which also means it can not be shared.

Thanks for any pointers or ideas!

Bela

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

cloning is a thin operation and won't transfer any data. it is fast and you could access the KB file even if the volume is huge

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pedro_rocha

You could clone the destination and share it 

BelaAtCU
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your help! Yes, the cloning and then sharing would work, however if you have a volume with 300TB data it is a lot of data transfer to get a file that maybe 10KB in size. This is why I was trying to access the vault directly via NFS a Cifs.

Thank you!

Bela

pedro_rocha

cloning is a thin operation and won't transfer any data. it is fast and you could access the KB file even if the volume is huge

BelaAtCU

Thank you Pedro. I will test that!

pedro_rocha

you are welcome, keep us posted

please remember to specify "-space-guarantee none" if the source volume is not thin provisioned. this will ensure that the resulting clone will barely consume space when created.

BelaAtCU

Hi Pedro,

I was able to do the restore following your advise.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Bela

Public