ONTAP Discussions

SNMP v3 configuration

not_a_Lone_wolf

Hi Team. I am trying to configure SNMPv3 on cluster using ONTAP 9 SNMP Configuration Express Guide. I havd added v3 user. However, the default community user 'public' still exists as seen below:

Second
User/Group Authentication Acct Authentication
Name Application Method Role Name Locked Method
-------------- ----------- ------------- ---------------- ------ --------------
general snmp usm readonly - none
public snmp community readonly - none
2 entries were displayed.

Do I need to disable/delete  the 'public' user?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hello Not_a_Lone_wolf,

You can "disable" the account by removing all privileges for the user by changing the "role" to "none" using the command:

::> security login modify -user-or-group-name public -role none -application snmp -authentication-method community

Here is a reference document to change the role:

Security Login Modify 

As long as you have an SNMPv3 user-created, which it looks like you have with user "general", deleting the user public won't impact SNMPv3.

Here is also a KB with more details on configuring SNMPv3:

How to enable SNMP v3 in ONTAP 9 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ttran

Hello Not_a_Lone_wolf,

You can "disable" the account by removing all privileges for the user by changing the "role" to "none" using the command:

::> security login modify -user-or-group-name public -role none -application snmp -authentication-method community

Here is a reference document to change the role:

Security Login Modify 

As long as you have an SNMPv3 user-created, which it looks like you have with user "general", deleting the user public won't impact SNMPv3.

Here is also a KB with more details on configuring SNMPv3:

How to enable SNMP v3 in ONTAP 9 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

not_a_Lone_wolf

Thanks a lot @ttran

Mjizzini

If you are not using it, i dont see a reason to not delete it or leaving it as is. 

not_a_Lone_wolf

Hi @Mjizzini  Thanks a lot for your guidance. So is it a way to disable that account instead of deleting it? Also, if the account is not deleted, would it impact the SNMPv3?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public