The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to register at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

SVM_DR Snapshots not deleted on source

brasseurm

Hello,

I've a question regarding the Snapshot (sm_created) used by SnapMirror for replication. I've probably misunderstood somehting but I cannot figure out what.

I have a cascaded replication: Cluster A  >  Cluster B (SVM_DR)  >  Cluster C (SnapVault - long term of Weekly)

The source volume (on Cluster A) has a snapshot policy set to "default", unchanged:

‌‌‌

Vserver: cluster1
Number of IsPolicy Name Schedules Enabled Comment
------------------------ --------- ------- ----------------------------------
default 4 true Default policy with hourly, daily & weekly schedules.
Schedule Count Prefix SnapMirror Label
---------------------- ----- ---------------------- -------------------
hourly     6      hourly        -
daily      2      daily         daily
weekly     2      weekly        weekly
5min      12      5min          5min

So no "sm_created" label.  At this time, the SVM_DR replication ran for a couple of days and on my source volume (cluster 1) I still have the following snapshots:

snap list -vserver volume snapshot snapmirror-label
------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
vs1 cascade_src1 vserverdr.0.d3c6b107-390d-11e9-a1d2-005056b013db.2019-02-25_190000 sm_created

[...] Ouput truncated

vs1 cascade_src1 vserverdr.2.d3c6b107-390d-11e9-a1d2-005056b013db.2019-02-27_122500 sm_created
vs1 cascade_src1 vserverdr.0.d3c6b107-390d-11e9-a1d2-005056b013db.2019-02-27_123000 sm_created
12 entries were displayed.

12 Snapshots are kept, the retention count for 5min snapshot is 12 and the Snapmirror schedule for the SVM_DR is indeed 5min. 

If the retention count is defined by the snamirror label, why is is this using 5min instead of "sm_created" which is the real label ?

Do you have any best practices or recommandation to use in this kind of situation ?

Thanks for your help !

1 REPLY 1

RajeshPanda

@brasseurm  Let me know if you are still looking for help, I will help you find an expert who can answer to your query.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public