ONTAP Discussions

Sanp Mirorr configuration

ashrafbinali

Hi All,

I am planning to migrate over 20  LUNs(Boot Volume and Raw Disk) using Volume Snapmirror to the new NetApp AFF250.

Can you please suggest steps for a one-time migration procedure?

3 REPLIES 3

paul_stejskal

Professional Services should be included in the purchase of a new filer and can help. The general steps are 1) set up SnapMirrors, 2) set up final resync after fencing i/o from source (old filer), 3) cut over LUNs to new filer, 4) online volumes and LUNs and present to host, 5) resume normal operations on new filer.

Is there anything specific you need? You can always create a test LUN and test the procedure for yourself.

ashrafbinali

Dear Paul,

i need to migrate Boot volume and shared volume(Raw dsik mapping VMware). is there any recommendation?

aladd

Depending on the system you are migrating from, you would configure your cluster peering relationships, SVM peering relationships, and then set up your volume snapmirror to the new location.

See reference documentation: https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-sm-classic/volume-disaster-prep/task_creating_snapmirror_relationships_93_later.html

Seeing as you mentioned these are boot LUNs, it would be a good idea to shutdown the system these LUNs are being used to boot to ensure data stability.

As mentioned by Paul earlier, it would be a good idea to involve the professional services team to ensure the migration process is much smoother.

Public