ONTAP Discussions

Separate Cluster's Connected to Each Other Possiblilties

DonaldJohnson

Bare with me as I'm fairly new to Storage Administration and this role has fallen into my lap. I was presented with a tasking of having one of our customers data backed up to our NetApps on site in case of an outage. The customer wants to have the ability to come to our site when there is an outage at their location in order to complete taskings and operation. Their user profiles and data all sits on a FAS2720, two-node cluster and our site is configured with a FAS8200, two-node cluster. Its all within the same network/domain but I wanted to know is there a terminology or setting within ONTAP where I could establish a connection between the two clusters or just have their data backed up to our cluster for emergency purposes. Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ansley_tj

SnapMirror is the native replication technology used within ONTAP. You should great Tech Report TR4015 (SnapMirror Configuration and Best Practices Guide for ONTAP 9.11.1 | TR-4015 | NetApp) and the online documentation to understand the SnapMirror solution.

Thanks
Tony Ansley
I am a NetApp employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SpindleNinja

Do you mean setup a SnapMirror between the 2 clusters?     or actually physically join them together to make a 4 node cluster. 

DonaldJohnson

SnapMirror was what I was referring to. Thanks for pointing me in the direction I was looking for. Im going to review the Tech Report Tony replied with.

ansley_tj

SnapMirror is the native replication technology used within ONTAP. You should great Tech Report TR4015 (SnapMirror Configuration and Best Practices Guide for ONTAP 9.11.1 | TR-4015 | NetApp) and the online documentation to understand the SnapMirror solution.

Thanks
Tony Ansley
I am a NetApp employee.

DonaldJohnson

Thank you Tony! I will review this information and come up with a plan to present to leadership.

Public