ONTAP Discussions

SnapCenter for LUN management tasks only?

pedro_rocha

Hello all,

I would like to know if it is a good practice to simply use SnapCenter as a LUN management tool. We are running ONTAP 9.7 and I know IMT tells me SnapDrive does not support ONTAP 9.7. So I was thinking if SnapCenter is the substitute for SnapDrive when we're talking about LUN management only tasks.

Or should I stay without SnapCenter in that case? (backup is performed by another tool in this environment).

Regards,

Pedro

2 REPLIES 2

hmoubara

Hello,

Snapcenter is the replacement of snapdrive as it is no longer supported with the new version of Ontap. Snapcenter plugin for windows will be the plugin you need to use for lun management in a windows machine.

Below is link for additional information:

https://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-43/topic/com.netapp.doc.ocsc-ag/GUID-53B06F0F-5962-432C-9407-33D00842E71F.html

Thanks 

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I like it but I'd still want to understand why this is not so clear reading NetApp docs and TRs.

Why doesn't NetApp clearly states the use of SnapCenter for LUN management? (or did I missed something?)

It is not even listed as a key feature on SnapCenter 4.3 Documentation Center, overview section (here).

Regards,

Pedro

Public