ONTAP Discussions

Snapprotect not removing snapshots

DREW_LAWRENCE442

I have a question that I would assume is related to operator error...

I'm implementing snapprotect (10sp3) and when I created my storage policy I had the retention set to infinite but now I want it to be 7 days.

I want to change the retention policy to 7 days for the primary array now but it doesn't seem to remove the old snapshots.

Data aging is enabled with the settings show in the attachment.

What have I done wrong?

3 REPLIES 3

jskinner

Hi Drew,

It won't delete the snapshot until it's met retention,  OR you tell it the job is bad (or copy), mark it for deletion(or delete it within SnapProtect).

DataAging doesn't delete the job for SnapProtect Snapshots, it reconciles what has been deleted.

This is the section in the v10SP3b documentation (main section is below that).

Data Aging for SnapProtect Snapshots

https://support.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/snapprotect/relsnap_protect100sp3b/215-08207_A0_books_online_100sp3b/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info...

DREW_LAWRENCE442

I had these settings set and there was a data aging job running by default but this must be running on something internal or specific that excluded my snapshots.

Scheduling another cleanup job fixed the clean up on my primary storage.

Still working out why it isn't cleaning up the snapvault. Looks like SP4 addressed some issues in that area...

jskinner

For the vault it would be good to check if you had another copy configured or if you have extended retention enabled.

Both of which would affect aging.

Public