ONTAP Discussions

Upgrade FAS2520 8.2.3 7-Mode to Latest V9

RichardParry

Hi, We have a FAS2520 running Data ONTAP 8.2.3 7-Mode. We're looking to upgrade this to the latest V9 that this will support. We have an active support contract so can download all versions.

I am a little puzzled though to the upgrade path - NetApp docs (I am reading https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.exp-dot-upgrade%2FGUID-AC0EB781-583F-4C90-A4C4-BC7B14CEFD39.html) suggest it should go 8.2.3 to 8.3, and then 8.3 to 9 or 9.1. 

However, I can't find a download for 8.3, only 8.2.5 is showing in the downloads section.

Should also be noted this is re-using an older system for archiving purposes only, so has no data on it. The upgrade can be fully destructive. Based on this, is it possible to simply backup the 8.2.3 currently installed OS and do a complete fresh install of the latest 9.x release, without attempting an upgrade?

Also, does anyone know what 9.x version is best to run on the FAS2520?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

If you can take a fully destructive method...

1. Download the following items
    • ONTAP 9.8P2
    • All Disk Firmware Package
    • All Shelf Firmware Package
    • Disk Qualification Package
    • Software License keys -> you must have these to have a usable cluster
  2. Identify a minimum of 5 IPs for the cluster use. Some of which you may already have
    • Cluster MGMT IP
    • Node-01-MGMT IP
    • Node-02-MGMT IP
    • Node-01-SP IP
    • Node-02-SP IP
  3. You will still need MORE IP addresses for DATA LIF (Logical Interfaces)
  4. Connect to the Serial Port or the Service-Processor
    • For this process, you must have access to one or the other, ON BOTH NODES!
  5. However you would like, get both nodes to the LOADER-X> prompt
    • Halt the system if it is running
    • Interrupt the boot process
    • Get to the LOADER-X> Prompt
  6. Cable the system Properly for ONTAP using CAT6 ethernet (this is the Cluster Network):
  7. Follow the Conversion KB
  8. After you get you cluster up and working
    1. install the Disk firmware, shelf firmware and Disk qualification packages.
    2. They will all auto-update (read the directions on each page)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SpindleNinja

There is a huge difference between 7mode and Cluster mode / ONTAP 9.  and no path to upgrade, the system will have to be converted and reinitialized and most likely cables added for the cluster connections.   

The max you can upgrade 7mode to is 8.2.  There is no 8.3.

Cluster mode (cdot), now just called ONTAP.    You can usually double hop versions when upgrading.  Current Max is 9.8 for the 2520.  But since you'd have to wipe/re-init. you could just deploy 9.7 or 9.8.  

System mins and max as well as supported clustered connections can be found at hwu.netapp.com 

RichardParry

Thanks, that's fine. As mentioned this is currently zero'd on the disks and ready for a complete OS re-install or whatever is needed. Completely understand 7-Mode doesn't exist past 8.2.X and want the cluster mode moving forward.

Is there a way to easily install to 9.8 on this platform?

SpindleNinja

oops.  i need more coffee.  

You'll also probably need to request clustered keys from your rep too if they're not already out there. 

Yeah  Check out the boot menu -> 

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-sag%2FGUID-B86616AE-D345-4B44-AA56-BBC7ABD44068.html 

opt 7 on both nodes.    then boot option 9 9a/9b

TMACMD

If you can take a fully destructive method...

1. Download the following items
    • ONTAP 9.8P2
    • All Disk Firmware Package
    • All Shelf Firmware Package
    • Disk Qualification Package
    • Software License keys -> you must have these to have a usable cluster
  2. Identify a minimum of 5 IPs for the cluster use. Some of which you may already have
    • Cluster MGMT IP
    • Node-01-MGMT IP
    • Node-02-MGMT IP
    • Node-01-SP IP
    • Node-02-SP IP
  3. You will still need MORE IP addresses for DATA LIF (Logical Interfaces)
  4. Connect to the Serial Port or the Service-Processor
    • For this process, you must have access to one or the other, ON BOTH NODES!
  5. However you would like, get both nodes to the LOADER-X> prompt
    • Halt the system if it is running
    • Interrupt the boot process
    • Get to the LOADER-X> Prompt
  6. Cable the system Properly for ONTAP using CAT6 ethernet (this is the Cluster Network):
  7. Follow the Conversion KB
  8. After you get you cluster up and working
    1. install the Disk firmware, shelf firmware and Disk qualification packages.
    2. They will all auto-update (read the directions on each page)

SpindleNinja

I swear you wrote this as a blog post at one time buddy. 

TMACMD

You know, I was getting ready to give all the gory details but I thought I’d look. Low and behold I found a public KB article to share!

Public