ONTAP Discussions

Using disk replace command

YoMike

I am using the disk replace command to move aggregate member disks to another shelf (same disk size/type) in order to free up a shelf to remove it.

The disks are a subset of a larger number of disks in the aggregate. Question is can I issue multiple 'disk replace' for disks belonging to the same owner/aggregate or do I need to wait for each one to finish?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

YoMike

I did find this thread that indicates I can issue the commands and the replace operations get queued.

Ontapforrum

Yes, that's the only thread perhaps you mentioned which suggests - Operations are queued when run in parallel. I guess, you can run them and let us know.

YoMike

Just to report back. To close this out. I issued the commands last night before I went home. Checking 'storage aggregate show-status' I could see that it started the replace for 1 disk in each Raid Group. Other disks in that RG simply showed 'replacing' as status but would not start until the previous disk was done, so it did queue them.

Disks were all done when I came in this AM and shelves removed!

Ontapforrum

Excellent, well done. Thanks for sharing this with us. You may mark your answer - "I did find this thread that indicates I can issue the commands and the replace operations get queued. " as a solution.

Public