ONTAP Discussions

VMware datastore protection - rename secondary storage vol?

akw_white

Hi all

I have some VMware datastores I want to backup using OnCommand 5.01/OCHP 1.1 with VMware consistent backups and SnapVault to a remote filer. Is there a way to control what the SV destination volume ("Backup physical resource") is called? At the moment it is creating a backup volume with the same name as my primary volume which I would prefer to avoid. My secondary volume is created by a provisioning policy and I cannot edit the naming properties of the dataset via the NMC. Maybe it can be done from the CLI?

Is there a known way to do this?

Thanks

Adam

PS I have had inconsistent results when manually renaming the secondary volume; the new name appears in some views (NMC Data\Provisioning) but not others (OCweb\Datasets\Relationship details). After renaming the backup vol and attempting to back up primary using the storage service I sometimes get the error "NDMP communication error: NDMP_SVS_MODIFY_RELATIONSHIP: 0x20500306 (SV NO RELATIONSHIP)" although snapvault status on the secondary filer indicates the relationship is OK.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amirm

Hi Adam,

You can control the naming of the secondary volume name that is generated by using "Naming Properties" of the dataset. On OC WebUI:

Select the dataset (of VMware type)>Click on Edit>Expand the Name(right arrow)>Select the Naming properties. Under this tab you can customize the way in which names are generated for Snapshot copies, Secondary volume & Secondary qtree. Please refer the image attached for the screenshot.

Regards,

-Amir

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

amirm

Hi Adam,

You can control the naming of the secondary volume name that is generated by using "Naming Properties" of the dataset. On OC WebUI:

Select the dataset (of VMware type)>Click on Edit>Expand the Name(right arrow)>Select the Naming properties. Under this tab you can customize the way in which names are generated for Snapshot copies, Secondary volume & Secondary qtree. Please refer the image attached for the screenshot.

Regards,

-Amir

adaikkap

Hi Adam,

Once you rename your volumes, snapvault modify needs to be run to notify the snapvault relationship that the volume names have been changed.  Thats the reason you get the mentioned NDMP error.BTW how do you like to name your snapvault destination volumes ?

Regards

adai

akw_white

Thanks all. Amir I will need to check that because for some reason I never noticed those settings.

Adai - normally I use %V_dr for the secondary volume name; in this case I would probably use something like %V_vmbackup

Regards

Adam

Public