ONTAP Discussions

What is the RAID-DP write penalty

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Hi,

I am just looking for more accurate information around RAID-DP write penalty. I know that most folks at NetApp or NetApp consultants elsewhere would immediately say - 1 to 2 maximum. That's b'cos WAFL turns incoming radom IOs into sequential full stripes. That's understood, but is that an average figure of both during low storage utilization & high storage utilization ?

I would be really happy if someone can share more information around this, during:
1. Low utilization of storage
2. High utilization of storage

1. During low utiliztion of storage - WAFL collects logically random writes and turns them into physical full sequential writes, as a result of which, it calculates the parity in the meomory on the fly, that means write penalty of maximum 2.

2. During High utilization of storage - What if my aggregate is 95%, and I have fragmented spaces, free full stripes are out of question, club this with back-2-back CPs. WAFL have to read the 'on disk blocks' to re-calculate the Parity and then write the new stripe. Does this mean, during times like that, we could see write IO penalty going up to 4.

I hope to hear some thoughts around this.

Thanks,

-Ashwin

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public