ONTAP Discussions

Windows mixed migrate

chinchillaking

Hi,

Customer have Windows server with CIFS and NFS share at the same time, that's mean file could allow Windows and UNIX client read/write at the same time.

Customer want to migrate Windows server data to new NetApp, any method or tools could migrate?

6 REPLIES 6

maffo

hi @chinchillaking 

our tool for client based migration is NetApp XCP.

Hope this suits your needs.

chinchillaking

Hi Maffo,

As I check the XCP user guide, it did not mention transition source mixed security file, will XCP migrate mixed security file and preserve mixed file NTFS and UNIX permission?

maffo

hi @chinchillaking 

XCP will keep the file/folder permissions from the system you are running: that means it will migrate only NT permissions when ran from Windows and only UNIX permission when ran from Linux. This is due by operating systems limitations.
If your source contains objects with both types of permissions and is also stored on an ONTAP system, Snapmirror will be able to make a copy of the volume while preserving all kinds of filesystem permissions.

chinchillaking

Hi Maffo,

One more, customer have old 7mode as below, it want to migrate to new NetApp.

- /vol/vol1/q1 with NTFS security and NT permission

- CIFS share /vol/vol1/q1

- NFS export /vol/vol1/q1

- old 7Mode /etc/passwd insert account user1

- /etc/usermap.cfg insert ntuser1 <= user1, it would be all unix account user1 map to NT ntuser1

- new NetApp create same UNIX user and user mapping

I try use secure copy migrate data to new NetApp, NT permission same as old 7Mode, but after unix client mount new NetApp qtree, ls -l permission did not same as old 7Mode, could XCP migrate with no problem? If yes, should refer manual "Migrate CIFS Data with ACLs from a Source Storage Box to ONTAP"?

maffo

If you need to do 7-mode -> / ONTAP 9 migration then I would suggest you look into the 7-Mode Transition Tool, please beware if you're running 9.6 or 9.7 to be in one of the most recent P-releases for it to be supported.

chinchillaking

Hi Maffo,

The 7Mode too old and it could upgrade to 7.3.7 only, the new NetApp min OnTap is 9.4, 7MTT could not support transit.

Public