ONTAP Discussions

change name of snaplock volume

tobyjosham

I have a volume that is Snaplocked and then mirrored to our recovery site. I need to switch the source and destination systems however the folder on the destination was named incorrectly which is going to cause problems for the system that connects to it.

Can I change the name of the volume without affecting the Snaplocked data contained within the folder?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

D_BEREZENKO

Here is what I found in KB for ONTAP 9

Rename an aggregate or Volume

• SnapLock Compliance: NO
  • SnapLock Enterprise: YES

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

D_BEREZENKO

Volume rename on both source & destination with SnapMirror on ONTAP (cDOT) should work smoothly no additional actions required.

After target volume rename with 7-mode you have to modify snapmirror.conf on Target.

What ONTAP version do you have?

tobyjosham

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I read that "with WORM the directory path to the WORM files must be locked down and never changed"

By changing the volume name aren't I changing the directory path?

Also the system that connects to the volume is actually connecting to a share so I can give the share the correct name without changing the volume name although it's not as tidy.

D_BEREZENKO

"WORM directories do not behave any differently than they would on regular volumes with one important exception; they cannot be renamed or moved once ...

• What ONTAP version do you have, is it ONTAP 9?
  • Do you have Enterprise or Compliance SnapLock aggregate?

tobyjosham

8.1.2 7 mode and Snaplock Enterprise.

D_BEREZENKO

Here is what I found in KB for ONTAP 9

Rename an aggregate or Volume

• SnapLock Compliance: NO
  • SnapLock Enterprise: YES

D_BEREZENKO

From this document, Archive and Compliance Management Guide for ONTAP 8 7-mode, see page 58

I would assume you can rename SnapLock volume (most probably Enterprise only, as in ONTAP 9):

"Rename sle0  to vfvol0 in the non-SnapLock volume and temp_sle0 to sle0 in the SnapLock volume."

Public