ONTAP Discussions

how to move volumen ntfs to another aggregate on NetApp Release 8.2.3P6 7-Mode

jclopezcano

Hi, I have a NetApp Release 8.2.3P6 7-Mode and I want to move an aggregate ntfs volume but it gives me the following error when doing the command: vol move start vol_tecon aggr_SATA

vol move: Specified source volume is exported via NFS. Unexport the volume and retry or resume vol move.

How can i solve this problem?

1 REPLY 1

Ontapforrum

Hi,

The error is expected, it is one of the requirement for vol-move:

# The source volume should not be exported to NFS or CIFS clients when the volume move operation is in progress.
https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196995/html/GUID-09E9890C-EFD4-47EA-9539-A658FD251C93.html

I would call it a disruptive process for NAS protcols (NFS/CIFS), as you will be required to stop NFS exports or  CIFS, which means a 'downtime' during the move period.

You have two options 'volmove' or 'snapmirror' : Advantage of vol-move over SnapMirror is that, you do not have to update the exports or re-create the shares. However, with snapmirror, the control is on you, once base replication is done, you can chose a maintenance window, termiante cifs, final update and re-create shares.

In any case, downtine is needed in both case, choice is yours.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public