ONTAP Discussions

is there a possible to get a warning for moving a file or folder in CIFS share?

FelixZhou

on CIFS share, if we attempt o delete a file or folder, we always get a warning or confirming message but not for moving a file or folder to different places. it does cost some accidents. is that possible to set to pop out same warning for moving a file and folder on CIFS share?

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

That's a genuine issue but I don't there is anything that can be done from the NAS side. You will need a third-party tool or script on the accessing host to get this warning enforced.

For example - One such 3rd party tool called TeraCopy has a 'Confirm drag'n'drop' feature: Which can optionally show a confirmation dialog on every drag and drop operation. It can prevent you from moving folders accidentally from one location to another.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

That's a genuine issue but I don't there is anything that can be done from the NAS side. You will need a third-party tool or script on the accessing host to get this warning enforced.

For example - One such 3rd party tool called TeraCopy has a 'Confirm drag'n'drop' feature: Which can optionally show a confirmation dialog on every drag and drop operation. It can prevent you from moving folders accidentally from one location to another.

ttran

Hi @FelixZhou ,

@Ontapforrum is correct. Confirmation or prompt of file or folder moves is a host side or application side feature, until it is integrated into the OS there isn't a method for this to be configurable within ONTAP.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

dj2022

It's OS behavior. If it was accidentally, you can only click 'Undo Move' in the folder Window to revert change (or press Ctrl+Z).

Regards,

DJ

paul_stejskal

Why not make the file/folder read only or remove delete permissions specifically? It is an advanced permission but as far as I can tell it is possible? It will allow copying but not moving (which is a delete).

Public