ONTAP Discussions

maintenance mode (7) Install new software first.

jan123

Hello

I have a new box not connected to a cluster yet. I need to downgrade it to the ONTAP version of the cluster before joining it (9.8P6). I see a very easy way to do it by going to maintenance mode -  (7) Install new software first and do it by this feature.

But the documentation about this option is almost none. I only found that this option can be used only to install newer version. Why? I don't care about anything on the box. I will initialize it after downgrade. 

Can I use this option? What problems it can cause?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

Personally, after doing a few head swaps, there is a different way that I would do

1. Boot to the ONTAP Boot menu
  2. Use option 9a on each node sequentially to remove any partitions/ownership
  3. Halt nodes
  4. NetBoot to the ONTAP release (9.8P6 in your case)
  5. At the menu, install software (9.8P6)
  6. At the menu, use Option 9 to re-init with either ADP or whole disk
  7. Join the cluster

Realize that is the SIMPLE version. There are a number of detailed steps in between.

I like this process because the final product (Installing ONTAP. after the NetBoot) will re-format the boot device and place the target image on both startup partitions on the boot device.

If needed, the process will likely also downgrade and firmware that may need to be downgraded.

If you decide to go this route, you should do a little more research. It is what I would do.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SpindleNinja

Boot Menu Opt 7. 

There's not really much to it.   It's a disruptive process, so don't do it to do actual upgrades.  

There's a CLI driven wizard that steps you through it. 
You'll install the image you want, and then i'd run opt 9a/b to re-init it on the version you installed.  

TMACMD

Personally, after doing a few head swaps, there is a different way that I would do

1. Boot to the ONTAP Boot menu
  2. Use option 9a on each node sequentially to remove any partitions/ownership
  3. Halt nodes
  4. NetBoot to the ONTAP release (9.8P6 in your case)
  5. At the menu, install software (9.8P6)
  6. At the menu, use Option 9 to re-init with either ADP or whole disk
  7. Join the cluster

Realize that is the SIMPLE version. There are a number of detailed steps in between.

I like this process because the final product (Installing ONTAP. after the NetBoot) will re-format the boot device and place the target image on both startup partitions on the boot device.

If needed, the process will likely also downgrade and firmware that may need to be downgraded.

If you decide to go this route, you should do a little more research. It is what I would do.

Public