ONTAP Discussions

real impact of vserver nfs modify -vserver vs0 -v3-64bit-identifiers enabled

grocanar

Hi

i m wondering about the real impact of the following

vserver nfs modify -vserver vs0 -v3-64bit-identifiers enabled 

it s written in the documentation that it s highly  suggedted to remount all client.

Should i planned a downtine  to all my clients before doing that

or can i remount just after doing this command.without too much impact.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

elementx

As far as I know there's no downtime required, it's one-off change where 64-bit identfier become being used by NFS server.

It says it's "highly recommended" to remount, but upon closer reading it's almost mandatory, as the KB mentions the risk of stale file handles. So I'd remount affected shares on all NFS clients after changing this setting.

https://kb.netapp.com/?title=Advice_and_Troubleshooting%2FData_Storage_Systems%2FFAS_Systems%2FWhat_impact__if_we_%2522Modify_the_Vserver_to_use_64-bi...

Incidentally, I enabled this on some NFS v3 shares used by ESXi 7.0U3 yesterday, and didn't remount immediately. Didn't notice anything odd right after that, but that was a lab environment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

elementx

As far as I know there's no downtime required, it's one-off change where 64-bit identfier become being used by NFS server.

It says it's "highly recommended" to remount, but upon closer reading it's almost mandatory, as the KB mentions the risk of stale file handles. So I'd remount affected shares on all NFS clients after changing this setting.

https://kb.netapp.com/?title=Advice_and_Troubleshooting%2FData_Storage_Systems%2FFAS_Systems%2FWhat_impact__if_we_%2522Modify_the_Vserver_to_use_64-bi...

Incidentally, I enabled this on some NFS v3 shares used by ESXi 7.0U3 yesterday, and didn't remount immediately. Didn't notice anything odd right after that, but that was a lab environment.

Ontapforrum

Agree. If this feature is going to effect Prod environment, then it makes all the sense to 'Plan a downtime' so that NFSv3 clients can be re-mounted before they make any IOs.

Before enabling: Ensure there are no 32-bit clients-applications , as they will be not supported.

EWILTS_SAS

Before enabling: Ensure there are no 32-bit clients-applications , as they will be not supported.

I have seen this in production although it's been a few years.  I had to spin up a special SVM just to handle the ancient client apps.

Public