ONTAP Discussions

sio_ntap usage

oikel39

I am trying to use "sio_ntap" following the manual as follows with specified file.

sio 100 100 512 1m 60 1 filename1

but I got Error message like Ex) say.

I am wandering how I run command sio_ntap with specified files like manual.

Any help

Thank you.

Test Environment:RHEL 6.6

Ex)

# ./sio_ntap_linux 100 0 8k 1m 10 1 /mnt/test

Version: 3.00
byte count mismatch: Success

sio_ntap: Error accessing file

2 REPLIES 2

HONIG2012

the problem is that the file must exist - so if you want to test your netapp with the file "filename1" you need to put a file called "filename1" with at least 1mb on your filer and direct the sio_ntap to that path which is located on your filer - if you do this within a virtual machine that is located on the filer the path is irrelevant.

why do you use a file with 1mb? this seems very small to me.

following suggestion:

1. create an empty file (e.g. use notepad and save it as "filename1" - beware to remove extension!)

2. run sio in the following: sio_ntap.exe 0 0 32k 40g 180 30 filename1
- this would dump data (zeros) into the empty file, you created, for 180seconds - then it stops - even the file doesn't have 40g

3. the you can run sio to read: sio_ntap.exe 100 100 32k 20g 60 30 filename1

- i made the file a bit smaller otherwhise you'll get an error again - just have a look at your filename1 and take something smaller - also the time was reduced to 60sec. like you had it.

personally i would recommend the filesize should be bigger that the memory of the machine - otherwhise you could have the problem that the file is cached somehow by the OS - also the file should be re-created if you use in the same VM - same caching issue.

another thing to remind is that you can start sio mulitple times - you have configured 30threads - but 30 threads on one file and if your filer doesn't come to it's edge you possible won't see as many IOPS you wanted to - so e.g. start it 4 times the same time to four different files - if sio finishes - count the iops together and you'll know how much you can get out of your box with the given parameters.

beware on tests with SSD - they decrease in performance a bit over a half year of you have them in use (they are a bit overpowered when they come from factory).

-AJ

oikel39

First of all, apologize about replying very late.

thanks for your reply and suggestion.

As you mentioned, I created file with 1mb size and sio_ntap worked fine.

I just wanted to see how sio_ntap works so didn't care about file size.

>personally i would recommend the filesize should be bigger that the memory of the machine 

I have been working on the machine which has 192GB memory and

should I make a file bigger than 192GB as you say.

*I am working with file size 10GB.

Thank you 

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public