ONTAP Discussions

snapshots deleted

rondebbs1

I'm trying to get familiar with Data Ontap using System Manager and 9.4.  I noticed that I had hourly snapshots at 7, 8, 9,10 am.  I did a restore from the 8am snapshot and then realized that it wiped out my 9am and 10am snapshots.  I'm guessing this is normal behavior.  But what if I later found out that I really should have used the 9am snapshot?  Is there something I could have done to save those other snapshots just in case I later found out that I restored the wrong snapshot?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

christsai

You can use FlexClone to create Flexclone volume from specific snapshot, and verify the data before you restore the volume

http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-vsmg/GUID-6B36F1BD-08A7-49E5-AD8E-EE6FD5762CC4.html

rondebbs1

ok thanks.  I will check out flex clone.

rondebbs1

So I tried the flexclone using System Manager.  This time I would restore the 1205 snap but knowing  it would wipe  out the 1305 snap.  So I did a Flexclone of the 1305 snap to keep it for later use if needed.  Then when I tried my restore with the 1205 snap it refused saying - Data ONTAP API Failed: Failed to promote Snapshot copy "hourly.2018-12-20_1205" because one or more newer Snapshot copies are currently used as a reference Snapshot copy for data protection operations: snapmirror.d8c3698c-03e4-11e9-b423-000c2942bb2d_2151905657.2018-12-20_164500. (Error: 13001).

So  I  thought maybe I should split the flexclone but after split I got the same error when trying to restore  the 1205 snap.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong.  Or is there a better way to from losing the 1305 snap when I restore the 1205 snap?  Thanks

christsai

In this case, you can do for two way

1.Create two FlexClone volume for snapshot 1205 and 1305, and verify the data, then decide which snaphot should use for restore.

or

2.Create FlexClone volume for snapshot 1305, and splitting the FlexClone volume for backup if needed for later, and restore snapshot 1205(after split 1305 FlexClone volume, you can restore the 1205 snapshot).

http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-vsmg/GUID-9DBC1CDF-00E2-4831-BEE1-4CE57F9123DE.html

rondebbs1

So I think I got it figured out now.  I was having problems with the flexclone because the volume was proteted by snap mirror. So here is my related question.  I create vol1 on source side with 1 hour snapshots (default) then I set up data protection for snapmirror to cluster2 hourly.  The vol1_dp on cluster2 is also getting snapshots hourly.  So  I have 1 hour snap shots on on the source  side (vol1) and 1 hour snap shots on the dest side (vol1_dp).  Is that overkill?  I've tested my snap restores from the dest side  to my source side using different dest side snaps - all good.  Do I even need the snaps on the source side (cluster1)?  It seems I can always just restore from the dest side vol1_dp.  Is there an easy way to turn snapshots off on the source side?  Thanks.

christsai

So I think I got it figured out now.  I was having problems with the flexclone because the volume was proteted by snap mirror. So here is my related question.  I create vol1 on source side with 1 hour snapshots (default) then I set up data protection for snapmirror to cluster2 hourly.  The vol1_dp on cluster2 is also getting snapshots hourly.  So  I have 1 hour snap shots on on the source  side (vol1) and 1 hour snap shots on the dest side (vol1_dp).  Is that overkill?  I've tested my snap restores from the dest side  to my source side using different dest side snaps - all good.  Do I even need the snaps on the source side (cluster1)? 

Depending on the importance of your data and your storage capacity, create a local schedule snapshot can help you restore data faster, but snapmirror will replication all snapshot in local site, so create a local schedule snapshot will use additional capacity in loacl and target site.

It seems I can always just restore from the dest side vol1_dp.  Is there an easy way to turn snapshots off on the source side?  Thanks.

You can turn off the schedule snapshot, but you can't turn off snapshot for snapmirror.

Public