ONTAP Discussions

snapvault help 7 mode

MPERIYAK

Hello

I know this is possible and have tried reading many posts and cant seem to figure this out. I am very very new to snapvault. I am using the simulator.

netapp1 - vol1 (primary) - 30 daily snapshots
netapp2 - vol2 (snapmirror destination for vol1)
netapp3 - vol3/qtree3 (snapvault destination) - need to store 90 daily (long term retention)

netapp1 -----SM ----netapp2------SV----netapp3

How do I achieve this? Can anyone help me with a step by step command line for snapvault. I have completed untill snapmirror part. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

JGPSHNTAP

This is fairly simple at this point.

Have you read the snapvault best practice guide TR-3487?

You need to use the mirror snapshot from the SM as the easiest.  I assume you are using protection manager (I advise against)

JGPSHNTAP

^^

One more point, since its a cascade and you will be using the VSM snap, your VSM's will not happen while the snapvault transfer is happening

MPERIYAK

Thanks. I am not using protection manager. can you guide more with the necessary commands on the filers and the understanding if possible

raj_shrivastava11

Hi,

As you are not using Protection Manager, R u using any other Backup Applicatio for this OR you trying to setup this on Netapp directly?

1 Way, 

a) First setup "snap sched vol1 0 30 0" => This will create 30 daily snapshots on Netapp1

b) After setting up snapmirror relation to Netapp2:vol2, update the snapmirror.conf to update the snapmirror relation regulary. Try to schedule it so it update the snapmirror after above snapshot is created.

c) Setup a snapvault relation between  Netapp2:vol2 and netapp3 - vol3/qtree3 -> configure a snapvault snap sched to a time when snapmirror finishes. 

So all 3 runs 1 after another. TR- 3487 will give u more details on Page 19.

Hope it helps

BR

Raj

Public