ONTAP Discussions

snapvault help 7 mode

MPERIYAK

Hello

I know this is possible and have tried reading many posts and cant seem to figure this out. I am very very new to snapvault. I am using the simulator.

netapp1 - vol1 (primary) - 30 daily snapshots
netapp2 - vol2 (snapmirror destination for vol1)
netapp3 - vol3/qtree3 (snapvault destination) - need to store 90 daily (long term retention)

netapp1 -----SM ----netapp2------SV----netapp3

How do I achieve this? Can anyone help me with a step by step command line for snapvault. I have completed untill snapmirror part. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

raj_shrivastava11

Hi,

As you are not using Protection Manager, R u using any other Backup Applicatio for this OR you trying to setup this on Netapp directly?

1 Way, 

a) First setup "snap sched vol1 0 30 0" => This will create 30 daily snapshots on Netapp1

b) After setting up snapmirror relation to Netapp2:vol2, update the snapmirror.conf to update the snapmirror relation regulary. Try to schedule it so it update the snapmirror after above snapshot is created.

c) Setup a snapvault relation between  Netapp2:vol2 and netapp3 - vol3/qtree3 -> configure a snapvault snap sched to a time when snapmirror finishes. 

So all 3 runs 1 after another. TR- 3487 will give u more details on Page 19.

Hope it helps

BR

Raj

JGPSHNTAP

This is fairly simple at this point.

Have you read the snapvault best practice guide TR-3487?

You need to use the mirror snapshot from the SM as the easiest.  I assume you are using protection manager (I advise against)

JGPSHNTAP

^^

One more point, since its a cascade and you will be using the VSM snap, your VSM's will not happen while the snapvault transfer is happening

MPERIYAK

Thanks. I am not using protection manager. can you guide more with the necessary commands on the filers and the understanding if possible

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public