ONTAP Discussions

snapvault update creates new volume

opwnetapp

So I have a weird problem.

I have a couple volumes that lost their snapvault snapshot (I blame DFM) but regardless I need to re-establish a baseline and get backups working again.

I have taken DFM out of the picture and deleted any acs or snapvault snapshots in the original volumes.

I will start a snapvault transfer with

snapvault start -S filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree  /vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree

if I look at the status I will see

filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree         filervault:/vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree      Uninitialized-   Transferring  (89 MB done)
filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree  filervault:/vol/SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL/qtree Uninitialized        Transferring

It looks like it is working, but creates a second volume called SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL Where does it even get this name? I was thinking DFM but these volumes have been removed from every dataset and I'm performing this directly from the command line!

If after the transfer is complete, I place this new volume offline and run an update with:

snapvault update /vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree

If I look at the status I will see

filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree         filervault:/vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree      Snapvaulted00:52:51   Idle
filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree    
filervault:/vol/SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL/qtree Unknown    00:52:51   Idle
filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree    
filervault:/vol/SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL_1/qtree Uninitialized  - 
Transferring  (9760 MB done)

It seems intent on creating a second volume with that name template!

Any idea why?

Thanks

Bob

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public