ONTAP Discussions

vFiler Migration fails: There are no aggregates with enough space and reliability/label match for all the volumes in the vFiler unit

fletch2007

Hi I am attempting to migrate this video-vf-01 vFiler from one 3270 8.1RC2 cluster to another 3270  8.1RC2 cluster and I am encountering the error below.

The destination has > 20Tb free - so space is not an issue.

So why is it failing?

I get the same error if I choose a FC aggregate as the destination.

Is there a testpoint to make this work?

thanks,

Fletcher

http://vmadmin.info

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Failed to select a resource.

=== ACTION ===

Select a destination resource for migrating

=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'irt-na02'(152):

- There are no aggregates with enough space and reliability/label match for all the volumes in the vFiler unit.

Storage capacity configurations and reliability requirements of volumes in the vFiler unit:

Volume 'video-vf-01:/video'(2452): Used space: 4.56 TB Current size: 5.00 TB (volume guarantee)

Block type: 32-bit

Disk type: FCAL

Aggregates, their capacities and configurations:

Storage system 'irt-na02'(152):

Aggregate 'irt-na02:sata0'(3255): Used space: 7.76 TB Total capacity: 26.2 TB Committed size: 3.10 TB

Block type: 64-bit

Disk type: BSAS

Configuration: Double disk failure protection

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'irt-na02'(152):

- Add more resources to the resource pool or select a different storage system.

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

Do you have screen shots?  You have the dfm plugin for RC2?  Could be a new BURT but should work regardless of SATA or FC with 8.1 and Data Motion.  The volumes shouldn't exist yet (data motion creates them)..for manual cli vfiler migrate you have to precreate the volumes but for data motion it creates them in the target system or aggregate you choose (sounds like you did all that though).

fletch2007

Hi Scott,

Here is the screenshot - the source is 32 bit and the destination aggrs are all 64 bit

Is that the problem?

I have 2 goals here

1 - evacuate the prod vfilers to the standby cluster (currently all 64 bit aggrs) so we can do hardware (shelf) upgrades to the prod cluster

2 - eventually get everything upgraded to 64bit aggrs non-disruptively

thanks

scottgelb

A limitation of data motion is the same volume type... 32 to 32 bit and 64 to 64 bit. Even though 8.1 snapmirror supports a mix of 32/64, data motion does not. You would have to use vfiler migrate from the cli (without the guarantee of 120 second failover) to do this migration.

There likely is a testpoint but without a official support, I don't see it as an available option 32 to 64. Still worth following up on the case though to see if the restriction can be worked around.

Public