ONTAP Hardware

Broadcom cluster switch

CSCOTTENO

Hi,

Anyone running broadcom cluster switches where the software/RCF is downrev from what it should be based upon your ONTAP version?  I've got 9 of these across the country all below the supported software/RCF version for ONTAP 9.10.1P1 and none of them have a serial connection which prevents me from dumping the port configs before applying the new RCF and re-configuring the ethernet management interface.  This could potentially mean $$$ for professional services to hit every office and upgrade the switches, postponing the ONTAP upgrades, possibly until next year.

So what might be the risk of running these switches with an unsupported version of software/RCF?  They are used for a 2-node cluster of FAS2750s.  We went with a switched cluster to make FAS upgrades easier in the future.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

what might be the risk of running these switches with an unsupported version of software/RCF?
Ans: According to following kb - "unintended behavior on the system", well this could mean 'anything', doesn't give any easy scope for speculation. I guess,  the advise would be to get it up to the supported versions before the ontap upgrade.

Do I need to update the RCF on my BES-53248 switches before updating ONTAP?
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/Fabric%2C_Interconnect_and_Management_Switches/Do_I_need_to_update_the_RCF_on_my...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ontapforrum

what might be the risk of running these switches with an unsupported version of software/RCF?
Ans: According to following kb - "unintended behavior on the system", well this could mean 'anything', doesn't give any easy scope for speculation. I guess,  the advise would be to get it up to the supported versions before the ontap upgrade.

Do I need to update the RCF on my BES-53248 switches before updating ONTAP?
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/Fabric%2C_Interconnect_and_Management_Switches/Do_I_need_to_update_the_RCF_on_my...

paul_stejskal

I wouldn't risk it. There was one RCF file that broke cluster connectivity for some Cisco cluster switches kind of bad.

CSCOTTENO

Got it.  Thanks for the feedback.

andris

What switch model, firmware and RCF versions are in question, here?

CSCOTTENO

9 BES-53248 pairs

Software: 3.4.4.6

RCF: 1.6

Required by 9.10.P1

Software: 3.8.0.2

RCF: 1.8

Public