ONTAP Hardware

Can someone list the reasons why the netapp comes as all FC Initiator ports

jon_presti

Can someone list the reasons why the netapp comes as all FC Initiator ports?

Shouldn't they be at least half Targets?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SEANMLUCE

Tape drives and disk shelves.

I have had customers use the on board ports for targets, and get an additional initiator card for the the disk shelves and tape library.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

If you order system with FCP license and without additional target HBAs, this is exactly what happens. Without FCP license, why would you need target ports in the first place?

jon_presti

While I appreciate the additional question to my question.  The question still stands, why are they all in initiator mode?

aborzenkov

Because you do not have FCP license.

jon_presti

Ok, this will be my last response to your responses.  I DO have an fcp license, and I am interested in why Netapp ships all Initiator mode.

Thank you,

Jon

SEANMLUCE

Which Fas system do you have?  Most (all?) on board ports can be switched between target and initiator.

jon_presti

I concur, they must be able to be switched, specifically the onboard ports.  The cards, or additional ports, have to be ordered how you want them.  My question is more specifically, why initiator?  What would be a good use of a FC port on a target as an initiator.

SEANMLUCE

Tape drives and disk shelves.

I have had customers use the on board ports for targets, and get an additional initiator card for the the disk shelves and tape library.

Public