ONTAP Hardware

Data On Tap Queue Depth?

jasongrierson

Hello all,

Just wondering what the Queue Depth settings are for data ontop 7.3.  I have read that NetApp uses Dynamic Queue Depths which lets the controllers / initators auto detect the queue length so its up to the OS to set the q depth so less resets are required at a host level, but is this available in Data Ontap 7.3? or all Data on tap?

If Data on tap does this is there any additional setup you need to do ?

Currnetly we are trying to setup some new AIX systems to are NetApp and was just wondering what the best Queue depth would be.

Thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4

scottgelb

I always refer to the latest iSCSI and Fibre Channel Configuration guide at http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/san/fcp_iscsi_config/config_guide/setting_up/concept/c_oc_set_config-limits-overview.html#c_oc_set_config-lim...

When you go through each configuration (single node or clustered) for each platform for the FC Queue Depth,  it is per port and is 1,720 per FCP Target port unless a FAS2020/2050 which is 737 per target port.

There are no settings to adjust this other than calculating the total host fan-in to each port.  If you see disk target queue depth settings, those are for vSeries from the NetApp controller fc initiator ports to back-end 3rd party disk but this does not apply to fc target ports to hosts.

philains1

Scott, do you know if it's possible to increase the fc initiator queue depth on a V-series when connected to a 3rd party storage system? As you say, the iSCSI and Fibre Channel Configuration guide states that the maximum queue depth is 1,720, but I can't find a way to either determine the default initiator queue depth, or increase it.

scottgelb

For v-series, check "options disk.target_port_cmd_queue_depth" to see the setting to the back-end array.  I think the max is 256.

Muralimohan

Sir,

Can we set queue depth per lun basis from netapp side

Regards

Murali

Public