I'm running 3 FAS2554 (4x400GB SSD + 20x4TB HDD) with Flash Pool and about 60TB of data used. I'm looking in these days for a hardware refresh. Each FAS2554 is doing about 8000 IOPS of peak, so 24000 IOPS total estimated.
With Fusion I have made some simulations and one of this is:
- 1 FAS2720 4x960SSD + 8x4TB HDD
- 3 DS212C with a total of 36x4TB HDD
where I can have 2 aggregates with Flash Pool and 16 disk per Raid Group and size around 45TB each (one more aggregate will be available due to local partitioned disk but will not be used for data). See attached images.
I have some questions:
- with 16 disk SATA is safe RAID-DP or should I use RAID-TEC?
- can I estimate the number of IOPS that can do this configuration?
- since 2554 aggregates are 22TB and FlashPool is based on 400GB SSD, will be sufficient 960GB of SSD for aggregates of 44TB (exactly double of each one)?
- where can I view how much space I'm using in my current Flash Pool configuration?
This may be lacking in HDDs. You're going from a total of 6x systems (2 HA pair) with 4 cores each (24 CPUs) with 60 HDDs to a single HA pair with 16 cores. Granted, the 2500s don't support AES-NI, so that may help some, but you are taking a big headroom cut here with the less disks.
I'm not sure if the performance is the issue or capacity, but would an AFF-C190 work? That way you don't have to worry about disk performance?