ONTAP Hardware

FAS 8020 with two shelves DS224-12 ID 00 and 10

RomanKahun

Hello all, yesterday i am added next shelf DS224-12 with id 20.  Everything is OK, but i am not sure with name of shelves.

I see all disks, etc... 

see the shelf naming has changed after addition is that fine?

BEFORE:

before.png

AFTER:

after.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andris

The Shelf Name consists of two values: Stack-ID.Shelf-ID.

ONTAP assigns an arbitrary stack ID, starting with 1 for every stack found in the cluster.

Q: I assume you added shelf 20 to the same stack as shelf 10?

When ONTAP discovers new shelves, it should have just assigned the shelf to the existing stack ID. 

In your case, did you have any problems with cabling or possibly temporary duplicate shelf ID's when you added this stack? That is the usual reason for ONTAP changing the stack ID of existing shelves.

In any case, it's not service affecting that the stack ID's change. Nonetheless, if you'd like to regain your stack ID 1 again, you can force ONTAP to rescan and re-enumerate the stacks and shelves by performing a takeover and giveback in both directions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

andris

The Shelf Name consists of two values: Stack-ID.Shelf-ID.

ONTAP assigns an arbitrary stack ID, starting with 1 for every stack found in the cluster.

Q: I assume you added shelf 20 to the same stack as shelf 10?

When ONTAP discovers new shelves, it should have just assigned the shelf to the existing stack ID. 

In your case, did you have any problems with cabling or possibly temporary duplicate shelf ID's when you added this stack? That is the usual reason for ONTAP changing the stack ID of existing shelves.

In any case, it's not service affecting that the stack ID's change. Nonetheless, if you'd like to regain your stack ID 1 again, you can force ONTAP to rescan and re-enumerate the stacks and shelves by performing a takeover and giveback in both directions.

RomanKahun

Q: I assume you added shelf 20 to the same stack as shelf 10? - YES

I dont have problem with cabeling, everything is OK, only question. I can ignore new shelf names?

andris

It's cosmetic, so you can ignore.

But understand that if you have a power reset or Takeover/Giveback event in the future, the stack ID's will probably go back to using 1 and 2, again.

RomanKahun

thx for info 🙂

Public