ONTAP Hardware

FAS3140 cluster setup

__AL42AND__

Hello,

I'm currently trying to configure NetApp FAS3140 (two controllers in single chassis) running Clustered ONTAP 8.2P3 after configuration reset.

There are no other devices for it to cluster with, it will be basically used as a standalone storage with two controllers.

Since all data traffic will go through FC, no Ethernet ports are connected to anything except e0M (management interface).

As far as I understood, each controller in Clustered ONTAP is considered a single node, and to make them work together as HA pair, first a cluster consisting of these two nodes should be created .

However, when running cluster setup, I'm requested to specify interfaces for internal cluster communications, and I can not progress further. I want to use built-in chassis interconnect, however I'm unable to find a way to specify it.

fas3140_1-01::> cluster setup

Welcome to the cluster setup wizard.

Do you want to create a new cluster or join an existing cluster? {create, join}: create

Do you intend for this node to be used as a single node cluster? {yes, no} [no]: no

Step 1 of 5: Create a Cluster

List the private cluster network ports: e0M

Port e0M can't be used, it is in use by a non cluster interface.

List the private cluster network ports: e0a

Port e0a's link is down.

fas3140_1-01::> network port show

Auto-Negot  Duplex     Speed (Mbps)

Node   Port   Role         Link   MTU Admin/Oper  Admin/Oper Admin/Oper  

------ ------ ------------ ---- ----- ----------- ---------- ------------

fas3140_1-01

e0M    node-mgmt    up    1500  true/true  full/full   auto/100

e0a    data         down  1500  true/true  full/half   auto/10

e0b    data         down  1500  true/true  full/half   auto/10

e2a    cluster      down  1500  true/true  full/half   auto/10

e2b    data         down  1500  true/true  full/half   auto/10

e2c    data         down  1500  true/true  full/half   auto/10

e2d    data         down  1500  true/true  full/half   auto/10

7 entries were displayed.

Interconnect seems to be working:

fas3140_1-01> cf status

Controller Failover disabled.

VIA Interconnect is up (link 0 up, link 1 up).

Sorry if this is too basic question, it's my first time dealing with NetApp products. Any help will be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

aborzenkov

Nodes in Cluster Mode are interconnected using 10G interfaces. There is no way around it. You can build two node cluster without additional switches by directly interconnecting 10G ports of both nodes, but there is no way to use CF interconnect for it.

__AL42AND__

Thank you for your reply. However, FAS3140 has no external 10G interfaces in default configuration:

The "2 Network ports" are 1G:

fas3140_1-01> sysconfig

slot 0: Internal BGE 10/100 Ethernet Controller

e0M MAC Address:    00:a0:98:13:11:2e (auto-100tx-fd-up)

slot 0: BGE 10/100/1000 Ethernet Controller

e0a MAC Address:    00:a0:98:13:11:2c (auto-unknown-down)

e0b MAC Address:    00:a0:98:13:11:2d (auto-unknown-down)

In this case, will using 7-mode allow active/active controller configuration without additional expansion cards?

aborzenkov

Yes, 7-mode does not need additional expansion cards for HA pair (neither does C-mode - 10G interfaces are used for data traffic, not for HA).

YEKYAWTHARMYINT

According to your network port show output, i assume you have additional network adapter on slot 2. physically connect port e2a and try to use port e2a as cluster network port.

__AL42AND__

Sorry, I lost you here. In c-mode, HA pair is a pair of nodes in cluster; so to create a single HA pair it is still necessary to create a cluster using 10G interface for cluster data traffic, isn't it?

JGPSHNTAP

It sounds like you need some assistance from professional services with this one.  Also a 3140 is an OLD box,  did you somehow procure this and are trying to put c-mode on it or use it as a retired box.

Usually, when a var sells a c-mode solution they sell you all the proper pieces to the puzzle so you don't end up in this situation.  You might want to talk to your reseller

aborzenkov

HA pair is a pair of nodes in cluster; so to create a single HA pair it is still necessary to create a cluster using 10G interface for cluster data traffic, isn't it?

Yes, that's correct. Sorry if I used somewhat unclear wording; I meant that HA pair still uses CF interconnect for HA purposes.

YEKYAWTHARMYINT

You can't use e0a as cluster interconnect port. You can see at your network port show command output. e0a role is data. You need to you e2a for cluster interconnect cable. Netapp supported configuration for cluster interconnect for 3140 is e1a and e2a.

Regards

Ye

Public