ONTAP Hardware

FAS3200 Licensing

brentbarnes25

I have a question regarding the licensing of the new FAS3200 series.  If I want to get the FAS3210a, which is the dual active/active controller, with the complete software bundle do I have to get two licenses one for each controller or just one for the enclosure.

5 REPLIES 5

roman_verysell

NetApp FAS uses a licensing 'per controller' (not a 'per enclosure'), so you need a set of two same license packs, for every controller in cluster.

aborzenkov

Do you ask how to install them or how to order them? When ordering, you specify single active/active system with single license bundle; internally NetApp expands it to two license sets. When installing, each controller has own licenses, that could be looked up under serial number of respective controller.

radek_kubka

Hi,

I beg to differ:

Technically speaking, for HA systems on NetApp formal quote / kit list there is always a quantity of two conrollers & two respective bundles / licences.

Regards,
Radek

rorzmcgauze

Remember that you need the same licenses on both controllers if you want all the functionality to exsist in a cluster failover scenario. Also the 3200 and 6200 have new software structures. On the quote you get something like the following of one chassis and two controllers:

FAS3140A-CHASSIS-R5-C

FAS3140,ACT-ACT,Chassis,AC PS,-C,R5

FAS3140A-IB-BASE-R5

FAS3140A,IB,ACT-ACT,OS,R5

joostvandrenth

Indeed, to order a CIFS or any other a la carte license (or bundles) on a system you order 1 for a single controller system and 1 order for a CIFS license for a HA pair. Cost wise ordering CIFS for a HA pair of controllers is (of course!) not the same as ordering 2x a single controller CIFS license (though technically this is exactly how it works).

Public