ONTAP Hardware

Is SP/BIOS downgrade really needed when reverting from 8.2 to 8.1?

aborzenkov

I have FAS2240 which needs to be reverted to 8.1 after briefly running 8.2. Is SP/BIOS downgrade really necessary? I tried to downgrade SP to 2.1.3, but got rather funny results:

SP sapdr> sp update http://172.17.0.200/FAS2200/306-02471_A0_SP_2.1.3_SP_FW.tar.gz -f
Downloading package...
Uncompressing package...
Unarchiving package...grep: /tmp/fud_eth/RLM_FW/install/Metadata: No such file or directory
grep: /tmp/fud_eth/RLM_FW/install/Metadata: No such file or directory

FW package install failed, the new version is not compatible with this platform.....FAILED
Cleaning up...
ERROR : SP FW Update Unsuccessful.
SP sapdr>

The file is obviously present in archive.

3 REPLIES 3

DOMINIC_WYSS

the SP 2.1.3 can only be installed on 8.1. so you need to downgrade Ontap first, then downgrade the SP.

I think the BIOS will be downgraded at the first boot after downgrading Ontap to 8.1 (because it is included in the ontap image

and will overwrite it on the flashcard).

aborzenkov

a) Data ONTAP is already downgraded

b) I update SP from within SP, not from Data ONTAP. How Data ONTAP version matters here?

DOMINIC_WYSS

b)      I update SP from within SP, not from Data ONTAP. How Data ONTAP version matters here?

ok, I never tried it from within SP. I just got the same message about the platform when trying to upgrade/downgrade the wrong version from within Ontap.

your error looks like it doesn't find a file/folder. I would try it within Ontap. maybe it does something different when extracting the files.

Public