ONTAP Hardware

Replacing the Disk

rolandabad

I have failed disk with 144GB FC and I plan to replace it into 300GB FC Disk. Can some one give me suggestions or comments about the replacing the different disk - Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rwelshman

Do you have any spare disks in the aggregate?

If so, the failed disk would have copied its data over to that one and the disk you are replacing will become the new spare.

You can replace the spare 300 GB with a 144 GB disk.

If you have no spare disks, then pulling the 300 GB disk and replacing it with a 144 GB will trigger a rebuild, but should be ok as long as only 144 GB worth of that disk was in use.

You can verify which disks are being used in the aggregate by running "aggr status -r".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

KEYANYUAN127

直接加进去就可以啊,在一个raid组里遵循“短板原则”,也就是说,你加入300G的硬盘,最终还是识别成144G来用的。

rwelshman

You can replace the disk with a 300 GB FC. If the disk is used an aggregate with 144 GB FC, then only 144 GB of the 300 GB disk will actively be used.

rolandabad

Hi Riley,

Then if We replace the 300GB is it possible to replace it into 144GB or stick to 300GB? please advise

rwelshman

Do you have any spare disks in the aggregate?

If so, the failed disk would have copied its data over to that one and the disk you are replacing will become the new spare.

You can replace the spare 300 GB with a 144 GB disk.

If you have no spare disks, then pulling the 300 GB disk and replacing it with a 144 GB will trigger a rebuild, but should be ok as long as only 144 GB worth of that disk was in use.

You can verify which disks are being used in the aggregate by running "aggr status -r".

rolandabad

thank you. yes there is spare disk to the aggregate

Public