ONTAP Hardware

Stopping power to one power supply in two node models FAS with two power supplies

areti

Hello!

Models FAS2240, FAS2552, FAS2750, which consist of two nodes (7-Mode or Cluster mode), have two power supplies.
I have each power supply connected to its own UPS.
Question:

Does each node have its own single power supply, or does each node use both power supplies?
If I stop powering one power supply (shutdown UPS), will both nodes continue to run smoothly on the second power supply?
Or will the first node crash (power off)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sudheer1

FAS2240, FAS2552, FAS2750 models are single chassis HA pair , if you have two controllers (two in a box).Both the controllers shares the same PSU.

Each PSU is capable of powering on the whole chassis (not node specific) which means both the nodes can run with one PSU.

If the other PSU also stops working then the complete chassis will loose the power..... in two node models FAS with two power supplies.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

maffo

hi @areti 

power is shared from both power supplies to both controllers: if you plug the two PSU to different power sources and lose one of them, the other one will keep both controllers powered on and running.

Rogerio_Ivo

As far as I know, all netapp systems have redundant power supplies . Powering off only one power supply will not power off any CPU, ever.

Obviously, if the PSU shutdown is planned, you need to make sure the surviving PSU is ok.

Regards,

sudheer1

FAS2240, FAS2552, FAS2750 models are single chassis HA pair , if you have two controllers (two in a box).Both the controllers shares the same PSU.

Each PSU is capable of powering on the whole chassis (not node specific) which means both the nodes can run with one PSU.

If the other PSU also stops working then the complete chassis will loose the power..... in two node models FAS with two power supplies.

Public