ONTAP Hardware

Unable to create a second aggregate on FAS2720

YoshFareko

Hi all,

First time posting here.

I cleared the configuration through the boot_ontap menu (4. Clean configuration and initialize all disks) on a new FAS2720(9.7P7) and DS212C using a total of 24 NL-SAS disks (10TB). Now the root aggregates is installed on 12 whole disks.

The problem is that I can create only one single aggregate (RAID-TEC only because of the size of the disks) on the first controller and I can't create a second aggregate on the second controller because I don't have enough disks to do so.

I heard about ADP to reduce the number of disks on the root aggregate but I did not find something very clear about it.

Could you help me on this problem ? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dbenadib

Basically, by default the system should be using ADP (aka Advance Drive Partitioning).

If it is not the case, then I believe that the easiest way will be to reinstall the system from scratch using Option 9

dbenadib_0-1637325012014.png

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_are_the_steps_followed_to__configure_advanced_drive_partitioning_... 

But before, let's validate the current config (using the cmd output I asked previously)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dbenadib

Hi,

In my opinion, the root aggregates are not installed on 12 Full drives but on partitions. On the FAS2720 the first 12 drives can be partitioned leading to 2 logical drives per physical one (Exemple: 1.0.1P1 and 1.0.1P2)

you could then create an aggregates for node X using the 10 other big partitions that will give you around 55TB (using raid tec, and 10 partitions)

Then you will be able to create another data aggregate using full drives that are in the external shelf that will give U an extra 56TB like in the following exhibit:

dbenadib_0-1637314345370.png

If you can't do it then can you share the following output:

• set -d -c off;disk partitions show
  • aggr show-status
  • disk show

That will help us understand the current situation

BR

YoshFareko

Thanks for your reply. I'm not able to post the output now but your solution is exactly what I need.

Can you post the procedure to create a partition on root aggregate and assign it to the second controller ?

Thank you again @dbenadib 

andris

See: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_are_the_steps_followed_to__configure_advanced_drive_partitioning_...

Essentially, do this in serial order:

Option 9a on Node A

Option 9a on Node B

Option 9b on Node A

Option 9b on Node B

The 12 integrated/internal disks will be partitioned with root and data partitions.

dbenadib

Basically, by default the system should be using ADP (aka Advance Drive Partitioning).

If it is not the case, then I believe that the easiest way will be to reinstall the system from scratch using Option 9

dbenadib_0-1637325012014.png

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_are_the_steps_followed_to__configure_advanced_drive_partitioning_... 

But before, let's validate the current config (using the cmd output I asked previously)

YoshFareko

Thanks to all for your replies.

I did the reconfiguration though ADP by menu 8a/8b and it now works perfectly.

Good day guys!

Public