ONTAP Hardware

Unix Write Access does not work

b_hesseling

I have a FAS-2240-2 system running 8.2.5P5 7-Mode.

There is only one Aggregate and one Share, Path is /vol/data_vol1 and one Volume, data_vol1 on aggr0. Security Style is mixed.

I have created an Export for Unix and set it to Client: "All hosts", Permission: "Allow Read Write".

From my ESXi servers via vCenter and also a testing Linux machine I can see the share but I can not write files.

If I remove this "all hosts" and add an non-existing IP instead, I can not even read. So this "Exports" seems to be the reason? It also does not work when I remove All hosts and just add the clients with their IP and permission Allow Read Write.

With my Domain Admin account via Windows I can read and write. NFS Permissions are set, so this is as expected.

But why does Unix not work as expected?

Thank you for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NetApp_SR

Unix security style is NFS. Ontap 7-mode system have three values that can be selected for volume security style, NTFS, UNIX and Mixed. The NTFS is for CIFS clients using Windows NTFS ACLs. UNIX is for UNIX hosts using NFS. Mixed security style is to allow NTFS and NFS on the same volume. VMware is not compatible with mixed security style volumes. You can have a mixed security style volume that is accessed by Linux and Windows hosts.  Check the youtube video link below.

NetApp Multiprotocol Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXK1y0xT7hs

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NetApp_SR

For VMware to use the volume the security style needs to be unix.

VMware ESXi NFS error "Cannot open volume: /vmfs/volumes/
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Cannot_open_volume%3A__vmfs_volumes_5be11945-5b538746_error

Netapp_maniac

when write fails , what error are you receiving ?

Could you please error details

b_hesseling
  • Name of the job
    create virtual machine
  • target
    Cluster01
  • Status
    access to the file ds:///vmfs/volumes/e2497d59-cc9fc17f/new vm not possible.

Is the error I am getting.

I expected "Mixed" to be compatible with both: NFS and Unix. But that might be the reson then. I will test.

paul_stejskal

No mixed is an odd duck for NFS and CIFS access. Honestly it's better to use for user mapping. However if you have a NFS only environment, UNIX is way better to use.

NetApp_SR

Unix security style is NFS. Ontap 7-mode system have three values that can be selected for volume security style, NTFS, UNIX and Mixed. The NTFS is for CIFS clients using Windows NTFS ACLs. UNIX is for UNIX hosts using NFS. Mixed security style is to allow NTFS and NFS on the same volume. VMware is not compatible with mixed security style volumes. You can have a mixed security style volume that is accessed by Linux and Windows hosts.  Check the youtube video link below.

NetApp Multiprotocol Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXK1y0xT7hs

Public